• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RoomMate Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

laborman

I live in Chicago with my brother in a 3 bdr apt. A "friend" of ours was having problems with her old roommate, so we agreed to let her live here for a while. When the landlord found out, he had us sign a lease with a $200 increase for her staying here, which was understood and agreed. Her name was NOT on the lease. Now she was told upon staying that she could not have "guests" staying here and coming and going at all hours, but she did. She was given two weeks to leave, that was Oct 15 '00. We agreed to give her officially until Nov 1. She never left, giving differing excuses why to the landlord and to us. On election day she showed up, grabbing a bag of clothes and a handful of shoes stating she would be by in a few days to pick up the rest. No Show. On Nov 24, I posted an ad in the local paper advising her of a 30 day notice to remove her property, upon the advice of my lawyer. No response. On Dec 15, at 1130 at night, she left a message on my machine stating she'd be here that weekend to get her things. No Show. Now my lawyer doesnt want to touch the issue anymore and all I wanna know is do I hold legal right to her materials and does she have any recourse at all....now or in the future? What constitutes abondonment of property in regards to personal items? Her stuff is taking up space here. Please help........Thank You for your time.....PS can anyone advise me of a lawyer in the Chicago area to handle this matter if possible? Thank You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">