• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate removel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GaryG

My roommate is involved in illegal activities that I do not want to be around. I turnned in a letter to our landlord signed by the both of us requesting that my name be taken off the lease several months ago. The landlord's attitiude is that both of our names must stay on the lease and we are both responsible for the rent.(She is aware of the situation).
Is there a way to get out of the lease myself or have my roommates name taken off the lease. I really do not want to break my contract and risk a bad credit report but if I stay while my roommate is there I risk the chance of legal problems because of their activities. I am in the state of Fl. and any advice I can get will help

L

LL

Sorry Gary,

I don't know anything about Fl law, except what I hear on TV about elections, but:

You went into this partnership together, and you have to either wind it up together, or get a court to make a divorce, or run away and join the foreign legion.

You are asking the landlord to give up something that is part of your original contract. Why should he do it?

Having your name off the lease doesn't make sense if you are still living there. If your roommate is doing drugs in the apartment, then you are no more or less involved because you are living with him, but your name is not on the lease.

If you want to split up with your roommate, you will have to talk together and decide jointly what to do, just like you did when you decided to lease an apartment together.

You probably have some right to go to court and ask a judge to split up your joint assets and joint obligations, but you would probably need something higher than small-claims court, and you would need a lawyer. It hardly seems worth it, but sometimes thats the price for people who cannot agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">