• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate sells weed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

If my roommate sells weed will I be criminally charged if he were to get busted? I know In Harris county there’s been a program passed by the DA which rollsback charges for possession under 4 ounces. By from my understanding this has more to do with distribution and conspiracy charges. Thanks.

quincy

If the police learn of your roommate's sales and your roommate keeps drugs in your shared living place, you can be charged.

I suggest you find a new roommate.

quincy

Here is a link to the current marijuana laws and penalties in Texas:
https://www.texasnorml.org/activism/marijuana-laws-and-penalties-in-texas/

Your state is leaning toward decriminalizing possession of one ounce or less for personal use but you will have to wait to at least 2019 for your legislators to act on the bills that have been proposed.

And, although Harris County has made diversion programs available to those caught possessing small amounts of marijuana, which can keep any marijuana offense from appearing on an offender's criminal record if all terms of the program are satisfied, not all of the jurisdictions in Harris County are offering diversion.

So, in essence, your roommate's possession of drugs makes you vulnerable to charges.

Last edited:
A cold hard fact of life for you.
If the police come in, your roommate will swear on a stack of Bibles that the weed is yours.
Move, or as Quincy says, find a new roommate.

I actually preferred dealing with thieves and drug dealers because you knew exactly what they were. It was the 'ordinary' citizens who were the ones that would surprise us;)

quincy

I actually preferred dealing with thieves and drug dealers because you knew exactly what they were. It was the 'ordinary' citizens who were the ones that would surprise us;)
I didn't know there was any such thing as an "ordinary citizen." :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">