• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate with no formal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OREGON

My father owns the property that I live in and I am the acting land lord. I allowed my roommate to move in with me last November with no formal lease/contract. Just a hand shake. I now would like for him to move out beacause my boyfriend & I are taking the next step in our relationship and moving in together. To make a long story short, when I told my current roommate the situation he FLIPPED out and became verbally abusive. He said that due to his current financial issues he would not be able to move until mid December. Now for me it is no longer wanting him to move out beacuse I want my guy to move in, it is about having this verbally abusive psycho move out. Any help, advice that you can give me would help. Thanks!

Legally, to get the ball rolling.......give the guy a formal, written notice of termination. Check to see if it's 30 days or 60 days in your state. (You should be able to find out if you google Oregon/landlord/tenant.)

If you really feel threatened by this person I would certainly call the police. Find out how restraining orders work.

Also, not sure how old ya'll are, but would a stern visit from your dad do any good, since he does own the property?

I'd recommend having your boyfriend stay there as much as possible. Unless you can get an angle on the "abusive psychopath" aspect of this, they guy does have the right to receive the proper notice.

Good luck,
Karla in Amarillo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential