• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

roomnmate issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



One year ago I let a friend of mine live/stay in my house rent free. I own my house. She was going through a hard time. She was to help me with duties around the house in exchange for her room. Most of last summer she was not here, but her belongings were, and did not follow through with her helping me around the house.In Sept. she returned here and stayed until the first week in March of this year. We had a fight, where she tried choking me. I did not report it. A few days later she left me a short note without letting me know what to do with her things. I had paid some bills for her, about $1500, during the time she was here, and basically supporeted her. She paid no rent. No exchange of money happened between us. We went through an unsuccessful mediation in early May. I sent her a letter telling her that she had to make arrangements for the storage of her belongings left in my house by June 15. I heard nothing. I feel that she abandoned her things here. Now she wants to take me to civil court. What are my rights? Thanks. I live in Minnesota


Senior Member
My response:

The judge will just look at her in complete, and utter, amazement. Then, he'll inform her, "You abandoned your property, plain and simple. Judgment for Defendant. Now, get out of my courtroom."


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential