• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rotted room

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

terryj

Recently we ripped out our carpeting in the bedroom and discovered dry rot on the floors. We investigated underneath the house and realized that the dryer was not venting properly outside, it was venting underneath the home. As a consequence an area atleast 5' X5' is rotted and molding, including the beams. The house is seven years old and we recently bought the home. Is the builder liable for the damage? If so , how would I go about getting them to pay for it and if not will my homeowners insurance cover it?

HomeGuru

terryj said:
Recently we ripped out our carpeting in the bedroom and discovered dry rot on the floors. We investigated underneath the house and realized that the dryer was not venting properly outside, it was venting underneath the home. As a consequence an area atleast 5' X5' is rotted and molding, including the beams. The house is seven years old and we recently bought the home. Is the builder liable for the damage? If so , how would I go about getting them to pay for it and if not will my homeowners insurance cover it?

**A: no the builder is not responsible although that was a code violation. Contact your insurance agent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">