• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Royalties, Intelelctual Prop & Gov't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

efleek

I work for North Carolina State government. I have never signed or otherwise been made aware of anything which would potentially prevent me from gaining any royalties or other compensation from the private publication (intended for commercial sale)of a book.

I have used some State resources (approx. 50%--microscope, computer) and some State time (~35%) to develop the book--all remaining time and resources have been my own (my own computer,my own time at home etc..).

The question is: since I am an employee of the State of North Carolina, and have used some State equip. and some State time to develop a book which is NOT a job responsibility, have I forfeited any claim to royalties or other compensation resulting from the sale of the book?

I have read a little NC law regarding this and it seems to indiacate that since I've used some State time/eqip., but have done things on my own time and eqipment, and that this isn't a job responsibility the book would qualify as a "Joint Authorship" (even though the State had no direct input in the book). Therefore (as I read the statute) I would have to split royalties (and presumably) any other compensation with the State.

Anyone know anything about this sort of thing??? Am I entitled to anything, do I get it all, do I have to split 50/50?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

ALawyer

As this turns on a pure interpertation of NC law I can't help with an answer, BUT almost regardless of what the statute law says, a knowledgeable lawyer in NC should be able to not only advise you but come up with a strategy for you to get one heck of a lot more than 50%, without risking your job or ill will....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">