• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ruined carpet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NHfather

What is the name of your state? NH. New house, New carpet live there 3 years ruined carpet (kids) agreed to pay for new carpet. LandLord has relaced the carpet with linoleum. I have started paying (per writin agreement) to replace the carpet but he replaced it with linoleum which is far less expensive. I could have already paid him more money than the linoleum job cost. what if i for the carpet and he leaves the linoleum?
as for paying for the whole replacemnet. is there any weare and tear deduction I mean for 3 years worth of daily living?
I have every intention to pay what i owe. my only question is. What do I owe?

CourtClerk

Ask for a receipt.

As for the wear and tear... my family has been in my current place just about 4 years. Carpet looks just about as good as it did when we got here. After 3 years, all you should need is a shampoo. 3 years is not a long time. The wear should be extremely minimal... the tear should be NONE.

NHfather

thank for the wear and tear answer but i'm more concerned with paying for a carpet that may never see the floor

ecmst12

You are liable for the depreciated value of the carpet that you ruined. What he chooses to replace it with is irrelevant.

aabbcc

I'd have to agree with ecmst12. You damaged the more expensive carpet, that's what you need to pay for.

Suppose you have a $50,000 Cadillac and it gets totaled in an accident. You replace the Cadillac with a $7,000 KIA. Should the insurance company only pay you for the KIA?

ecmst12

You are not, however, liable for the cost to replace the carpet with new carpet. I don't know what the depreciation rate for carpet is, someone posted 7% per year on here a while ago but no idea if that's accurate.

zzzzz78759

Yes, you need to pay for the carpet. Yes, it should be prorated. Carpeting in rentals is typically cheap stuff since it's bound to get a lot of wear and tear.

Last time I had to worry about carpet, it was prorated over 7 years. After 7 years it was considered worthless and was replaced. Since it was already old when I moved in and I lived there for 7 years, I wasn't charged anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">