• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

run around

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

astrobomb

What is the name of your state? New York (NYC)

My employer refuses to pay my last two days work, as he conciders me a suspect in a robery of one of the stores I work at. I gave my two weeks notice, and on my last day of work I was at the location in question for only a half an hour, then finished the day at another store.

He said that he wont pay me untill he has gotten a detective to question the people HE suscpects. I didn't sign anything for the job that says I have to take a lie detector test, but he wants me too.

I talked with a lawyer friend and he said I don't have to make a statement or take the test. This seems true, but can I be charged anyways?
Is it worth trying to get my last 2 days check, since it's an amount under $200?
I don't want to waste time or money on something that's more of a hassle than it's worth.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can call your state DOL and file a complaint for unpaid wages. You don't need to go through a lawsuit. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it or not.

astrobomb

suspect?

state: NY

Thanks for the quick response.

What about the questioning/detector test? I dont want to seem guilty by not taking them or issuing a statement, but a lawyer friend advised me that I legally I don't have to.

Can they charge me with anything? I didn't steak thier money, but I also don't want to inadvertanly make my slef more of a possible suspect.

Beth3

The police will decide who they should speak to about the theft, not your employer. You have absolutely no obligation to take a lie detector test at the employer's request and I suggest you do not. For one thing, you won't know anything about the credentials of the person administering the test. There's also a federal law (I think it's the Polygraph Protection Act) that severely restricts an employer's ability to administer/require polygraph tests. And as an ex-employee, you most certainly do not have to comply.

After investigating, the District Attorney (not the police and not your employer) will decide if there is enough evidence to charge anyone with a crime. If you weren't involved in the robbery, then it's very unlikely that there's any evidence that you did or sufficient evidence to prosecute you.

In the meantime, personally I'd file a complaint with the State for my unpaid wages.

astrobomb

thanks

thank you (both) for your help.

I have one last question, do you know of any online rescouces that I could look up to understand more about the legal processes you responded about in my last post? I had a hard time finding that information on the web.
How investigations are made, then leading to questioning, and finally if charges are to be pressed.

thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">