• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

runaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ms sassy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
When my daughter was 16, she ran away from home and her boyfriend helped her and they went to another town. We called the sheriff of our town and they didn't do anything until we called the GBI. The GBI called the boyfriend's mother (who knew all along where they were and she told us she didn't have any idea where my daughter was) and told her to have my daughter home before 6 pm that nite or she would be charged. Well finally we got our daughter home that nite.
She has turned 17 and she has left our house again to go back to her boyfriend's and the sheriff's office told us that we couldn't do anything about it cause she is 17 years old.
I found out that the mother of the boyfriend has taken my daughter to Florida (without my permission) and that my daughter and boyfriend are planning on getting married sometime in the near future.
I need to know what the laws are in Georgia about runaways and harboring a runaway.
PLEASE HELP ME! MY DAUGHTER COULD BE IN DANGER...............Ms Sassy :confused:

Wolflmg

Then I would get in contact with CPS and tell them what is going on. Also call your law enforcement again, if this women did take your daugther out of state without your permission, then I think they have to do something about it.

ms sassy

ms sassy

Wolflmg said:
Then I would get in contact with CPS and tell them what is going on. Also call your law enforcement again, if this women did take your daugther out of state without your permission, then I think they have to do something about it.
I did call my law enforcement again and they told me that without a court order, I couldn't do anything about the situation. As far as CPS, they told me that as long as my daughter is 17 that they wouldn't do anything.
PLEASE HELP ME, I FEAR FOR MY DAUGHTER'S SAFETY.

T

titansfan

police are full of ****

you better tell law enforcement to get off their lazy ass and do something. this woman, who is not a relative, took YOUR daughter out of state without YOUR permission. its called kidnapping. you dont need a court order.this is YOUR child, not hers.

Shay-Pari'e

titansfan said:
you better tell law enforcement to get off their lazy ass and do something. this woman, who is not a relative, took YOUR daughter out of state without YOUR permission. its called kidnapping. you dont need a court order.this is YOUR child, not hers.

Poster, ignore Kelly/Titansfan. She has no clue, she just makes herself look stupid on the forum.
Ummm, Kelly? Why don't you do that for her since you think you know so much.

She needs to contact the DA. Without a court order the police cannot do a thing. She ran away, she has not been kidnapped.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

This is why you are having a problem.

From Georgia statutes:

16-5-45.
(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) 'Child' means any individual who is under the age of 17 years or any individual who is under the age of 18 years who is alleged to be a deprived child as such is defined in Code Section 15-11-2, relating to juvenile proceedings.
(2) 'Committed person' means any child or other person whose custody is entrusted to another individual by authority of law.
(3) 'Lawful custody' means that custody inherent in the natural parents, that custody awarded by proper authority as provided in Code Section 15-11-45, or that custody awarded to a parent, guardian, or other person by a court of competent jurisdiction.
(b)(1) A person commits the offense of interference with custody when without lawful authority to do so the person:
(A) Knowingly or recklessly takes or entices any child or committed person away from the individual who has lawful custody of such child or committed person;
(B) Knowingly harbors any child or committed person who has absconded; or
(C) Intentionally and willfully retains possession within this state of the child or committed person upon the expiration of a lawful period of visitation with the child or committed person.
(2) A person convicted of the offense of interference with custody shall be punished as follows:
(A) Upon conviction of the first offense, the defendant shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined not less than $200.00 nor more than $500.00 or shall be imprisoned for not less than one month nor more than five months, or both fined and imprisoned;
(B) Upon conviction of the second offense, the defendant shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined not less than $400.00 nor more than $1,000.00 or shall be imprisoned for not less than three months nor more than 12 months, or both fined and imprisoned; and
(C) Upon the conviction of the third or subsequent offense, the defendant shall be guilty of a felony and shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years.
(c)(1) A person commits the offense of interstate interference with custody when without lawful authority to do so the person knowingly or recklessly takes or entices any minor or committed person away from the individual who has lawful custody of such minor or committed person and in so doing brings such minor or committed person into this state or removes such minor or committed person from this state.
(2) A person also commits the offense of interstate interference with custody when the person removes a minor or committed person from this state in the lawful exercise of a visitation right and, upon the expiration of the period of lawful visitation, intentionally retains possession of the minor or committed person in another state for the purpose of keeping the minor or committed person away from the individual having lawful custody of the minor or committed person. The offense is deemed to be committed in the county to which the minor or committed person was to have been returned upon expiration of the period of lawful visitation.
(3) A person convicted of the offense of interstate interference with custody shall be guilty of a felony and shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

***Age requirement to get married in Florida is 18.

Unless--See below.

From Florida statutes:

741.0405 When marriage license may be issued to persons under 18 years.--

(1) If either of the parties shall be under the age of 18 years but at least 16 years of age, the county court judge or clerk of the circuit court shall issue a license for the marriage of such party only if there is first presented and filed with him or her the written consent of the parents or guardian of such minor to such marriage, acknowledged before some officer authorized by law to take acknowledgments and administer oaths. However, the license shall be issued without parental consent when both parents of such minor are deceased at the time of making application or when such minor has been married previously.

(2) The county court judge of any county in the state may, in the exercise of his or her discretion, issue a license to marry to any male or female under the age of 18 years, upon application of both parties sworn under oath that they are the parents of a child.

(3) When the fact of pregnancy is verified by the written statement of a licensed physician, the county court judge of any county in the state may, in his or her discretion, issue a license to marry:

(a) To any male or female under the age of 18 years upon application of both parties sworn under oath that they are the expectant parents of a child; or

(b) To any female under the age of 18 years and male over the age of 18 years upon the female's application sworn under oath that she is an expectant parent.

(4) No license to marry shall be granted to any person under the age of 16 years, with or without the consent of the parents, except as provided in subsections (2) and (3).

ms sassy

ms sassy

Happy Trails said:
This is why you are having a problem.

From Georgia statutes:

16-5-45.
(a) As used in this Code section, the term:
(1) 'Child' means any individual who is under the age of 17 years or any individual who is under the age of 18 years who is alleged to be a deprived child as such is defined in Code Section 15-11-2, relating to juvenile proceedings.
(2) 'Committed person' means any child or other person whose custody is entrusted to another individual by authority of law.
(3) 'Lawful custody' means that custody inherent in the natural parents, that custody awarded by proper authority as provided in Code Section 15-11-45, or that custody awarded to a parent, guardian, or other person by a court of competent jurisdiction.
(b)(1) A person commits the offense of interference with custody when without lawful authority to do so the person:
(A) Knowingly or recklessly takes or entices any child or committed person away from the individual who has lawful custody of such child or committed person;
(B) Knowingly harbors any child or committed person who has absconded; or
(C) Intentionally and willfully retains possession within this state of the child or committed person upon the expiration of a lawful period of visitation with the child or committed person.
(2) A person convicted of the offense of interference with custody shall be punished as follows:
(A) Upon conviction of the first offense, the defendant shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined not less than $200.00 nor more than $500.00 or shall be imprisoned for not less than one month nor more than five months, or both fined and imprisoned;
(B) Upon conviction of the second offense, the defendant shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined not less than $400.00 nor more than $1,000.00 or shall be imprisoned for not less than three months nor more than 12 months, or both fined and imprisoned; and
(C) Upon the conviction of the third or subsequent offense, the defendant shall be guilty of a felony and shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years.
(c)(1) A person commits the offense of interstate interference with custody when without lawful authority to do so the person knowingly or recklessly takes or entices any minor or committed person away from the individual who has lawful custody of such minor or committed person and in so doing brings such minor or committed person into this state or removes such minor or committed person from this state.
(2) A person also commits the offense of interstate interference with custody when the person removes a minor or committed person from this state in the lawful exercise of a visitation right and, upon the expiration of the period of lawful visitation, intentionally retains possession of the minor or committed person in another state for the purpose of keeping the minor or committed person away from the individual having lawful custody of the minor or committed person. The offense is deemed to be committed in the county to which the minor or committed person was to have been returned upon expiration of the period of lawful visitation.
(3) A person convicted of the offense of interstate interference with custody shall be guilty of a felony and shall be imprisoned for not less than one year nor more than five years.

***Age requirement to get married in Florida is 18.

Unless--See below.

From Florida statutes:

741.0405 When marriage license may be issued to persons under 18 years.--

(1) If either of the parties shall be under the age of 18 years but at least 16 years of age, the county court judge or clerk of the circuit court shall issue a license for the marriage of such party only if there is first presented and filed with him or her the written consent of the parents or guardian of such minor to such marriage, acknowledged before some officer authorized by law to take acknowledgments and administer oaths. However, the license shall be issued without parental consent when both parents of such minor are deceased at the time of making application or when such minor has been married previously.

(2) The county court judge of any county in the state may, in the exercise of his or her discretion, issue a license to marry to any male or female under the age of 18 years, upon application of both parties sworn under oath that they are the parents of a child.

(3) When the fact of pregnancy is verified by the written statement of a licensed physician, the county court judge of any county in the state may, in his or her discretion, issue a license to marry:

(a) To any male or female under the age of 18 years upon application of both parties sworn under oath that they are the expectant parents of a child; or

(b) To any female under the age of 18 years and male over the age of 18 years upon the female's application sworn under oath that she is an expectant parent.

(4) No license to marry shall be granted to any person under the age of 16 years, with or without the consent of the parents, except as provided in subsections (2) and (3).
I want to thank you for this information. I'm going to be making alot of calls concerning this situation and hopefully I will have my daughter home soon. Thank you again, Happy Trails. This has really helped me.

seedpuppy

Has your daughter been legally put in your care till age 18 other wise nothing can be done to get your daughter back.....sorry.......read the laws provided so kindly........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">