• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rural area suburban neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Conqu

What is the name of your state? VIRGINIA

I live on an agriculture zoned lot in a farming and rural preserve county. I have farm animals like many others in my area. I have no neighbors for over 150 acres to the left and back and neighbors about 5 acres away to the right. I have one neighbor in front about 2 or 3 acres away.

My property once was owned by the people in front. Once I moved in they have not liked the land use choices I have made. I have left them completely alone (I dont even know their names) and they put up a large front fence. Other than the farm animals I do not make noise nor do I or any of my family go in the front yard. We avoid conflict as best we can.

I got a noise complaint today from the sheriff. Which just ended in her giving me a pamphlet on shelter definitions for dog houses (which I am already compliant on).

My neighbors in front have been increasingly doing disturbing things to make us uncomfortable. They piled up speed bumps along the easement shared by us and 5 other houses. (I turn shortly after their house, so I'm only ever going 10 to 15 mph) the put signs for slow children playing (they have no children) they play loud music for 7 to 10 hours a day and have large parties (i dont care i just ignore them)

How do I protect myself and my family's rights to use our property appropriately and in an area meant for farming and rural development? I fear these neighbors may try to poison my animals, trespass or invade in my family life with legal accusations if I don't live the way they want.

I just want to be left alone I have done all I can think of to keep to myself and I feel pestered and watched.

quincy

There is little you can do about incidents that have not occurred, and may never occur.

If you are worried about trespassers, however, you could post “no trespassing” signs.

If the neighbors trespass, report them to the police. If the neighbors make false accusations, fight back with the truth. If they poison your animals, have them arrested. Sue for your losses.

I am sorry you wound up with bad neighbors.

(edit: grammar correction)

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Cameras that record say based on motion detection things as they occur may be the best thing you can do should you ever have a incident where you want to see who it was and if needed so sheriffs dept can look at the video. AS far as speed bumps go I suggest you plan for talking to a real estate attorney if needed AFTER you carefully review the easement to see if they are allowed to make changes to it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">