• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RV dealership wrecked my new rv

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dillondog

Hi guys. Just purchased a new 75k rv from a national dealership. It had defective stabilizers and needed to be repaired. The repairs got all screwed up and i was leaving town. They said they would deliver rv to my house. The driver wrecked the rv and it is a complete mess. Police report filed. I called my insurance company. This unit is badly wrecked. What to do next.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Assuming you are in the US, it seems to me that your insurance should cover the repairs, after which they will subrogate against the dealership.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So the dealership had nothing to say about it when you spoke to them? How do you know they are not dealing with it through their insurance?

When my car got wrecked when my mechanic was out with it on a test drive he called to tell me about it and that he had already filed a claim with his insurance. A few weeks later he just handed me the check from them.

ALawyer

The dealership is almost certainly at fault. While you've done the right thing by notifying your insurance company of the loss, the dealer and its insurer should be fully liable. Contact your insurer and ask if it has made a claim against the dealer and its insurer, and if there is anything else you have to do. Inquire also about use of a replacement vehicle.

If your own insurance company pays you it may withhold the deductible under your policy, at least until it collects from the dealer, who seems to be the at fault party.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...the dealer and its insurer should be fully liable.
Just to pick a nit: The dealer's insurer has NO direct liability to the OP except that which is required through their contractual relationship with the dealer. In other words, the DEALER is liable, but the insurance will foot the bill on their client's behalf.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">