• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

RV Title Awarded in Divorce Was Never Transferred by Ex When Originally Purchased

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MAPike111000

What is the name of your state? Georgia
The court awarded me a RV (old 1997, and doesn't run) that was purchased during the course of our marriage as payment for part of a debt owed to me by my ex. He finally handed over the title to it and I went to get it transferred in my name. When I got to the Title Office they said I could not transfer the title since the title was never transferred to him originally. He purchased it back in 2014 and has signed and dated the back of the original title when he got it. So, I gave it back to him and told him he has to complete the original transfer and then sign over the new title to me in order to complete his obligation. He said that he would not do it and that I had to pay all the taxes, late fees and transfer fees to get the title transferred (which is now over $900.00), because I was awarded it in the divorce.

I know in the state of Georgia he was required to transfer the title within 30 days of purchase back in 2014 (which I'm sure he knows since he was a used car salesman when I met him). I'm not sure what legal steps I need to take next in order to get this taken care of, do I take him to small claims court for the amount of money it will take to transfer the title correctly. I know if I go back to my lawyer to try to get this matter resolved it will cost me more in legal fees, which I don't have and if I knew he didn't follow through with the transfer originally I would have already stated it as a requirement in the divorce settlement.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia
The court awarded me a RV (old 1997, and doesn't run) that was purchased during the course of our marriage as payment for part of a debt owed to me by my ex. He finally handed over the title to it and I went to get it transferred in my name. When I got to the Title Office they said I could not transfer the title since the title was never transferred to him originally. He purchased it back in 2014 and has signed and dated the back of the original title when he got it. So, I gave it back to him and told him he has to complete the original transfer and then sign over the new title to me in order to complete his obligation. He said that he would not do it and that I had to pay all the taxes, late fees and transfer fees to get the title transferred (which is now over $900.00), because I was awarded it in the divorce.

I know in the state of Georgia he was required to transfer the title within 30 days of purchase back in 2014 (which I'm sure he knows since he was a used car salesman when I met him). I'm not sure what legal steps I need to take next in order to get this taken care of, do I take him to small claims court for the amount of money it will take to transfer the title correctly. I know if I go back to my lawyer to try to get this matter resolved it will cost me more in legal fees, which I don't have and if I knew he didn't follow through with the transfer originally I would have already stated it as a requirement in the divorce settlement.
You take him back to court for contempt and let the judge order him to take care of it.

MAPike111000

"If you do not have the required proof of ownership documents to obtain a Georgia title in your name, you may apply for a Georgia title on the basis of a surety bond."

https://dor.georgia.gov/bonded-vehicle-title
That sounds expensive and all I want to do is get a clean title so I can sell the RV. It has been sitting in my backyard since he bought it in 2014 and hasn't been used or driven since he put it there. It hasn't even been started since the beginning of 2015 to recharge the batteries. I have no intention of keeping it, nor do I want to throw away any more of my own money on this vehicle and this sounds like it will at least need to be insured which I am sure isn't cheap.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That sounds expensive and all I want to do is get a clean title so I can sell the RV. It has been sitting in my backyard since he bought it in 2014 and hasn't been used or driven since he put it there. It hasn't even been started since the beginning of 2015 to recharge the batteries. I have no intention of keeping it, nor do I want to throw away any more of my own money on this vehicle and this sounds like it will at least need to be insured which I am sure isn't cheap.
No matter what, it's going to cost you a fairly substantial amount of money to get this vehicle titled and registered so that you can sell it. The bond itself is going to be a relatively small percentage of that. If you don't want to spend any more of your own money on it, then just put it on the street and be done with it. Of course, there's a chance that such a step could come back to bite you in the butt, so you have to keep that in mind too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">