• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

S corp owner payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? california
my business partner and I set up an s corp in california. we have no employees, it's just us two doing everything. i'm trying to figure out if we need to put us on a payroll (and do tax withholding and all that complicated paperwork), or simply get cut a check from the business and do our own tax payments.

since by definition an s corp is taxed the same way a partnership is, it seems like the latter should be possible. but i was told by someone that since it is a corporation, we are employees and need to be be set up that way. i'm not sure which is correct.


Senior Member
Both are correct. Your income is a salary, and requires the corporation do withholding, pay FICA, etc. A payroll service. or Quickbooks, is a good way to go.


S corp - more

Thanks for your advice. However, I'm not sure I totally understand. When you say both are correct do you mean we can just pay self employment taxes on the money we are paid and not have the company withhold?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential