• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

?'s Re: New HO Ins. Policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rowz

Greetings from NJ

Probate for Mom's house is about to close. My sister & I will be co-owners [as TIC] with me being in residence. The two of us have an agreement that covers the terms of this arrangement.

I am wrangling with getting a new HO's Ins. policy.

I run a small business out of the home and also will be getting a room-mate, both issues have been disclosed in the application process.
The problem I am asking about is that the "new" ins. co. is an on-line only presence with no local agents and communication with them is phone or on-line.
My sibling will be listed as an additional insured and I as the primary.

We have only received a declaration page with the coverages & costs listed, no specifics. When I called the co. and inquired about the 2 issues stated above the reply was "we have it in our notes/emails and if it not listed in the list of exclusions then it is covered. I have asked twice now if we could get the actual policy and am told no, not until you start [and pay] for the policy.

My sibling is not happy with this and I do understand the concern, but I'm the one tasked with getting this clearly defined.

I called the NJDept of Banking & Insurance and was told "yeah, that's a bit of a problem but there is nothing to be one about it with a HO policy....that's the way it is.". Also told "try emailing them this concern and see if they will assure you in a return email [a writing] that these 2 issues are covered.

It sound really wishy washy.

Oh....I asked about an umbrella policy but unless we bundle home policy with a car policy that cannot be done.

Any suggestions on how to proceed and would an emailed reply suffice?

TIA - Rowz

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should get additional polices for coverage as a land-lord, as well as business insurance.

rowz

biz insurance...yes. as the unit is inside the home with a common entrance I am told by the ins. co. it is covered

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
biz insurance...yes. as the unit is inside the home with a common entrance I am told by the ins. co. it is covered
You mean the same insurance company that you can't even get to really answer your basic questions?

When you need it, it's better to have more insurance, not less.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">