• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Safe and sober or Wreckless endangerment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ironman13

In MN, is it legal for the cops to travel over the speed limit without his emergency lights on? And is it legal for them to tailgate until the driver makes a mistake so he can stop them? The reason I'm asking is because the have a safe and sober campain that lasts 2 weeks and I've seen and heard of several incidents where the cop is driving more dangerously than the people the are going after. I personaly seen a state trooper going at least 75mph+ in a 55 past bar at closing time with no flashing lights on, just to get behind a car to mess with them for a few miles. When the driver didn't screw up he whipped around to go back past the bar again.

CdwJava

No, they aren't allowed to drive like idiots either. I don't know if MN law absolves them of some liability if they operate with lights only, but I'm guessing that they need lights AND sirens to protect them.

However, consider that they understand they take on the liability of their infractions and can be subject to discipline if they are reported. Also, keep in mind that when we respond to a call if we were to go at the posted speed limit and not push the envelope to respond, that break-in or fight that we are responding to might involve your loved one. If we follow all the rules it might take us 5 minutes or more at a time when seconds could mean life and limb, or the security of your property. We know that timing is important so we push the envelope at times.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">