• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Safety Deposit Box

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

statefan

What is the name of your state? NC
My mother passed away unexpectedly in June 2005. My sister was named executor of the estate since I lived out of state. The estate was closed last summer. My sister recently received a piece of mail, addressed to my mother, from a local bank, stating her safety deposit box (my mom's) was expiring and she either needed to pay, return the keys, or pay to have it drilled and rekeyed.

Before her death, we knew she had rented a box (because dad passed away less than a year before), but she said she had not put anything in there. After her death, we could not find any safety deposit keys or anything. Plus everything "important" was accounted for.

My question, with the estate closed, what if anything can the bank do?

Dandy Don

Have you discussed this with the bank? Executor has legal authority to get the contents out by presenting a certified copy of her letters testamentary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">