• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salaried employee and vacation usage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sillygrover17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I am a retail manager. I get paid a salary. The required work week is 44 hours. (Of course it is frowned upon to only do the minimum-reminds me of flair requirements in Office Space!) So, I took a vacation. I was gone half of last week and the first three days of this week.

I am working 40 hours (scheduled, schedule submitted weeks in advance) this week. I was told today that I still have to take 9 vacation hours because I am only working 4 days this week.

Is this correct or is my District Manager just making this up? It seems as though I would only be required to utilize the vacation time to meet my obligation to earn my salary.

Last edited:

swalsh411

It is not illegal to make you use your leave time as you are describing. If you feel your manager is being unfair, speak to HR, but this is a policy issue.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law does not address how vacation time is used. It is entirely an internal matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">