• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

salaried...exempt...overtime...i'm still confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dez

This all still confuses me. I am a salaried employee...a whopping 21k!!! This is actually good money in radio, I'm a disc Jockey and I just left one radio station that paid hourly and overtime and am now at another with this salary. I've only been hear a short time but I'm finding out that during certain events I am scheduled to work and "donate" my time. I'm all ready on an average of 45 hours per week, next week because of an event my hours beyond that equal 24...that's 88 hours in one week! I read in the Federal Labor Law thing that in some cases radio announcers are exempt...is this what this means? Can they make me donate my time? I have a strong work ethic and don't mind going the extra mile but I also have a daughter to consider during all this donated time. Babysitting fees, lost quality time, extra gas running back and forth...any suggestions? I live in WI if it matters.

F

Franny

Depends on your state labor laws, go to your state labor page on the web, here in CT, a salaried employee is exempt when they have certain duties, like the ability to hire, fire, supervise, schedule etc.

If those duties are not met, the employee can not legally be a salaried employee.

I found this out too late...I worked salary of $15000.00 a year and had NONE of those duties. I also put in 60+ hrs a week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">