• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sixthring

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My company just announce a company wide salary reduction of 5% beginning January 1st 2009. This will lower my salary below my agreed upon hiring salary. Can they do this? What are my recourses? I do not mind a reduction but to go below my agreed hiring salary seems unjust.

pattytx

Things are tough all over and 5% isn't very much in the whole scheme of things. Unless you have an enforceable contract that prohibits the employer from ever lowering your salary, you'll have to decide to take it or decide to look for another position.

sixthring

I agree

5% is not much the point that rubs me is that this is below my agreed upon hiring salary. Plus this was not discussed with me at any point nor anyone else in the company. They only announced it via a webpage. I would gladly surrender my minor raise i got at the start of the fiscal year, but I have issue with going below my agreed salary.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
As long as you are making the higher of state or Federal minimum wage (if non-exempt) or $455 weekly (if exempt) and you received prior notice of the reduction, that's all the law cares about.

Unless you have a bona fide, legally enforceable contract (not an offer letter, a CONTRACT) that specifically states that your salary can never go below x, the fact that you initially agreed on a higher salary means zilch legally.

crystallayden

Maybe you can ask your company to make a written agreement stating that this reduction is temporary. Also a deadline when you will get your normal salary. And if it is possible, as something to compensate the reduction in the future. If your company can not provide it, you better looking for another job. Good Luck!

pattytx

Maybe you can ask your company to make a written agreement stating that this reduction is temporary. Also a deadline when you will get your normal salary. And if it is possible, as something to compensate the reduction in the future. If your company can not provide it, you better looking for another job. Good Luck!

And unless such an "agreement" is very narrowly written, it would not be legally enforceable. In this economy, it would be a stupid employer who would legally committ to such conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">