• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sale of home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kairchuan

What is the name of your state? LA, New Orleans

I want to sell my house and remove my name on the mortage. My x-wife lives in the house and does not put it up for sale, even though there is a court order to sell or refinance the home. She is already in contempt for not following the court order.

What are my options?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kairchuan said:
What is the name of your state? LA, New Orleans

I want to sell my house and remove my name on the mortage. My x-wife lives in the house and does not put it up for sale, even though there is a court order to sell or refinance the home. She is already in contempt for not following the court order.

What are my options?

My response:

Your only option at this point is to file an "Order to Show Cause Re: Contempt of Court" and to have her explain herself to the court, and why she shouldn't spend a weekend or longer in jail for her failure to obey a court order.

Then, you can also ask the court to force the sale of the house and to allow you to place it up for sale.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">