• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salt Lake City divorce procedure need a help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NealHarper

Hi! I live in Utah and we decided to go through divorce and separation with my partner. In our current financial state we can't pay bills anymore, is there anyway of getting a divorce without help of attorneys? We don't have enough money for lawyers fee, is it okay to fill the form on your own and after that bring it to court? Or is it necessarily to have a lawyer in case of a property division?

LdiJ

Hi! I live in Utah and we decided to go through divorce and separation with my partner. In our current financial state we can't pay bills anymore, is there anyway of getting a divorce without help of attorneys? We don't have enough money for lawyers fee, is it okay to fill the form on your own and after that bring it to court? Or is it necessarily to have a lawyer in case of a property division?
You are not required to have an attorney, but if there is property to divide, alimony or child support to be considered, or child custody to be considered it would be wiser to have one.

NealHarper

You are not required to have an attorney, but if there is property to divide, alimony or child support to be considered, or child custody to be considered it would be wiser to have one.
Thanks for advice! I was browsing the Utah court's website https://www.utcourts.gov and couldn't find the full list of documents that required for divorce. What documents is needed, aside from Petition for Divorce and Civil Coversheet? I was thinking about using their assistance program, but it seems like OCAP does not electronically file and serve documents, so i'm really stuck at this point.

https://www.utcourts.gov/

LdiJ

Thanks for advice! I was browsing the Utah court's website https://www.utcourts.gov and couldn't find the full list of documents that required for divorce. What documents is needed, aside from Petition for Divorce and Civil Coversheet? I was thinking about using their assistance program, but it seems like OCAP does not electronically file and serve documents, so i'm really stuck at this point.

https://www.utcourts.gov/
Honestly, this isn't something that someone on an internet forum can walk you through. See if one of your local courthouses has a self help office. I am not sure if any courthouses, in any state allow for electronic filing and serving of documents.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The web site looks to be pretty complete. What is the problem with filing and serving the papers traditionally?

NealHarper

The web site looks to be pretty complete. What is the problem with filing and serving the papers traditionally?
Due to my work i spend most of my time in business trips, so i wanted to fill all the divorce forms by myself and drop them to court one day. Most of the states already allow electronic filing, as LdiJ said, so it was very weird thing for me to discover that Utah ocap do not support electronic filing. I'm also found out that on official court website there aren't any examples of divorce forms available. I'm currently considering using a help from online divorce services, does anyone has any experience of using one? I've found such in my state - so i wondering if it's okay to use a help from a third party companies for getting and filling all divorce papers that needed. I'm hoping that i could reach a mutual agreement with my partner on property division, so we won''t have to pay $2000 on lawyers, but it's very hard to find any information on the internet about steps that must be taken to start the divorce.

Zigner

Due to my work i spend most of my time in business trips, so i wanted to fill all the divorce forms by myself and drop them to court one day. Most of the states already allow electronic filing, as LdiJ said, so it was very weird thing for me to discover that Utah ocap do not support electronic filing. I'm also found out that on official court website there aren't any examples of divorce forms available. I'm currently considering using a help from online divorce services, does anyone has any experience of using one? I've found such in my state - , so i wondering if it's okay to use a help from a third party companies for getting and filling all divorce papers that needed. I'm hoping that i could reach a mutual agreement with my partner on property division, so we won''t have to pay $2000 on lawyers, but it's very hard to find any information on the internet about steps that must be taken to start the divorce.

First, I reported your post due to the commercial link (not allowed). Second, the court web site has an interactive interview process that will generate the paperwork for you. Third, yes, it's ok to use third party companies if you wish, but see #2.

LdiJ

Due to my work i spend most of my time in business trips, so i wanted to fill all the divorce forms by myself and drop them to court one day. Most of the states already allow electronic filing, as LdiJ said, so it was very weird thing for me to discover that Utah ocap do not support electronic filing. I'm also found out that on official court website there aren't any examples of divorce forms available. I'm currently considering using a help from online divorce services, does anyone has any experience of using one? I've found such in my state - so i wondering if it's okay to use a help from a third party companies for getting and filling all divorce papers that needed. I'm hoping that i could reach a mutual agreement with my partner on property division, so we won''t have to pay $2000 on lawyers, but it's very hard to find any information on the internet about steps that must be taken to start the divorce.
I actually said that most states do NOT allow electronic filing of divorces or lawsuits, nor do they allow electronic serving of divorces or lawsuits. I am not actually aware of any that do allow it.

LdiJ

Its dangerous to use an online service for a divorce. I have heard some horror stories from people about divorces they believed happened, that never actually happened. If you use an online service to help you draw up the paperwork, print it out and then submit it to the court yourself, that might be ok, but I would not recommend letting them do it.

There are just some things in this world that cannot be done over the internet...and probably shouldn't be either.

Zigner

Its dangerous to use an online service for a divorce. I have heard some horror stories from people about divorces they believed happened, that never actually happened. If you use an online service to help you draw up the paperwork, print it out and then submit it to the court yourself, that might be ok, but I would not recommend letting them do it.

There are just some things in this world that cannot be done over the internet...and probably shouldn't be either.
The OP wants to use an online service that prepares real documents to be filed by the OP. At least, that's how I understood the OP's postings. Furthermore, there are plenty of states that allow for electronic filing, just not electronic service of the (initial) documents.

NealHarper

I've found the official OCAP website, i'll try to fill all divorce forms by using their help and write afterwards when documents completed. I'm really dumb when it comes to filing forms to be honest, so it would be way better for me to talk with the real person during this process. After i registered my account it seems like i'm only able to fill forms and print it, no any other options available.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">