• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

same creditor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZOIE

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I received a collection letter from the same lawyer that I had sent a validation & c\d letter to back in Nov. 2002. (and received no reply). The only difference is the creditor on the first one is CACV,INC. & on the second letter the creditor is: CAVC of Colorado,LLC, but the orginal creditor is still the same. Is this two different creditors? Or are they trying to playing a fast one?

Ladynred

Given the general disorganization and horrible records of most collection agencies, it looks like it could be a typo. Have you checked your credit report ? Do you know who the creditor is SUPPOSED to be ?

ZOIE

As of my credit reports dated 10/02, the creditor is listed as MBNA & is also listed on both of the letters. The letters are coming from Cambece Law office out of MA. I guess it's time for a new credit report, huh?
I just looked at my post & I made the typo, it should be: CACV of Colorado, LLC.
Sorry about that, Zoie

ZOIE

Considering MY typo, is it legal for the CA to send another letter requesting payment? If not, what can I do?

K

kevinss

It may have been a clerical error. You would have to prove that they intended to violate your C&D, and that would be kind of hard in this case. Send a letter to them explaining the situation.. request validation and C&D again. If you let them know that they appear to have violated your C&D, they might be a little less likely to do it again.

On a side note, a similar thing happened to me. It was CACV, Inc. back when The "Law Office" of Curtis Barnes contacted me about a debt they'd purchased (CACV.) I asked to speak with them as I don't deal with collection agencies. They said CACV "didn't deal with the public."
I come to find out later that they seem to be doing business as CACV of Colorado, LLC. Makes one wonder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">