• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Same Sex Consensual Sex in Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mom1972

What is the name of your state? Georgia
In Georgia, can charges be filed against my 18 year old daughter for having consensual sex with a 16 year old girl?
They are classmates in high school, and my daughter is 1.5 years older than her. The relationship is consensual, and they are in love. The 16 year old girl's parents do not know about the relationship, and they are anti-gay. I am afraid if they find out, then they would file charges against my daughter for sexual abuse or misconduct. They would assume that my daughter made their daughter gay and caused her to do sexual things. Can they file charges against my daughter? Can they file charges against me, if they have sexual relations in my home? Also, if they have a bad break-up could there be any issues with the 16 year old filing charges against my daughter? How can we protect ourselves to avoid issues with this?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia
In Georgia, can charges be filed against my 18 year old daughter for having consensual sex with a 16 year old girl?
They are classmates in high school, and my daughter is 1.5 years older than her. The relationship is consensual, and they are in love. The 16 year old girl's parents do not know about the relationship, and they are anti-gay. I am afraid if they find out, then they would file charges against my daughter for sexual abuse or misconduct. They would assume that my daughter made their daughter gay and caused her to do sexual things. Can they file charges against my daughter? Can they file charges against me, if they have sexual relations in my home? Also, if they have a bad break-up could there be any issues with the 16 year old filing charges against my daughter? How can we protect ourselves to avoid issues with this?
The best way to avoid it, is for your legal adult daughter, NOT to have sex with a minor. It doesn't matter whether same sex, sex or not.

Mom1972

Thanks for the quick reply. The age of consent in Georgia is 16, so could legal charges still be filed against my daughter? By the way, they currently are not having sex, but I just want to prepare in case their relationship moves further.

Just Blue

Thanks for the quick reply. The age of consent in Georgia is 16, so could legal charges still be filed against my daughter? By the way, they currently are not having sex, but I just want to prepare in case their relationship moves further.
Your daughter could end up with a RO placed against her. DD is an adult...tell her to refrain from having sex with a LEGAL CHILD. Especially as the girls parents are homophobic and can make the girls home life miserable. If they are in love they can wait till the girl is an adult and free to make her own choices.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The law is not different for same-sex than for opposite sex.

Please keep in mind that charges for sexual assault are NOT the only charges possible and that as long as the other girl is a minor, her parents have 100% control of her. That the state will not prosecute your daughter for having sex with a 16 year old does not mean there are no other charges that can be placed.

LdiJ

The law is not different for same-sex than for opposite sex.

Please keep in mind that charges for sexual assault are NOT the only charges possible and that as long as the other girl is a minor, her parents have 100% control of her. That the state will not prosecute your daughter for having sex with a 16 year old does not mean there are no other charges that can be placed.
Can you give an example? So far, it doesn't appear that anything has happened that would trigger a possibility of other charges.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I didn't say anything had already happened that might result in charges. I was warning about potential actions for potential activity.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Possible of interference with custody or corruption of a minor or various other things could be charged. But LD won't see this because she is in her cloud of denial.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I didn't say anything had already happened that might result in charges. I was warning about potential actions for potential activity.
The bottom line is that no matter what the law says, its always murky when one of the parties is a minor and the other is not. There is always a risk factor involved for the adult party even if the minor party is above the age of consent.

quincy

The bottom line is that no matter what the law says, its always murky when one of the parties is a minor and the other is not. There is always a risk factor involved for the adult party even if the minor party is above the age of consent.
Ohiogal mentioned two possible problem areas: corruption of a minor and interference with custody.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Exactly my point.

FarmerJ

Encourage your daughter to wait it out until the other girl is 18, Once this other girl is 18 if her parents cant handle her being Lesbian she can leave the parental home and her parents will have zero legal options to do any thing prevent it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">