• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Save my Honeymoon!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member
I'm a truck driver in Pennsylvania. My fiancee and I have had longstanding plans to spend this winter back in her native country getting married and taking a 3 month honeymoon we've been saving for. Already gave notice to my employer that my last day will be 12/1. I've got a flight booked out of the country on 12/2.

I was out of work for 6 months earlier this year with a torn ligament in my left knee. Came back to work in September, looked to be fully recovered. Now, just a few weeks before leaving, I started experiencing pain in my left ankle and am back on worker's comp. Unclear if its related to the knee or a new injury, but the doc wants me in a walking boot, and I can't drive a truck with it on. Two weeks of rest doesn't seem to have done anything. Awaiting MRI results.

Postponing the trip to stay here and get the ankle fixed isn't really an option; not only would we be out thousands on cancelled flights and wedding plans, but so would other people who've already booked flights to come to the wedding (12/30). Getting Insurance-company-approved medical care in her country is not likely either.

What is my situation with worker's comp, legally? I told the insurance company that I'd already given notice to my employer to be leaving 12/1, and they said that didn't matter and that I'd be getting paid worker's comp "until you are cleared to return to work." But I was not planning on even trying to return to work until I get back in March and look for a new job.

I'm assuming they're not just going to keep sending me checks all winter until I next pass a DOT physical, and I'm assuming that worker's comp is contingent on me going to my physical therapy or checking in with a doctor or something. And that's fine, but on the other hand, I'm also very fearful of waiving my rights and saying I no longer have a claim in the event that this turns into some sort of lingering issue. What is my legal situation and what are my options?
Last edited:


Senior Member
You're entitled to benefits for as long as you CAN'T work.

What happens when you WON'T work is beyond me.

I suggest you be up front with the WC adjuster, chapter and verse, about your travel and wedding plans. That's the best place to get the answer to your concerns short of consulting with a WC attorney.

Did you pay for anything with a credit card? Check your credit card benefits. Some credit cards have trip insurance.


Senior Member
Congratulations. That's a very creative insult. You must have spent a great deal of time perfecting it. Time that could have been better spent giving constructive advice to EddieF.



Senior Member
Was your previous knee injury a work-related injury? How long are you supposed to wear the boot?

Here is a link to information on worker’s compensation in Pennsylvania:


Any time after you start receiving workers compensation benefits, your employer/insurer can require through a court order that you see a doctor for reexamination. A failure to comply can result in a suspension of benefits.

In what country will you be honeymooning?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential