• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

saved my parent's home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smoothy_jaye

state:Mississippi.my grandmother who was incompetent at the time with alheizmer,now deceased,owned 79 acres of land.Oct.1994,her daughter illegally forged my grandmother's name on a deed willing all the property to a grandson,(the same daughter's son.)The son in turn used the 79 acres of land as collateral to renovate the old homestead house(the house he is living in for free).Well the son didn't pay the monthly bill for the renovations and the 79 acres of land & 2 houses, the old homestead house and my parents home ended up in foreclosure and for sale.
The title of the property was never cleared because of a lawsuit filed by the siblings of the daughterin Apr 1996,nearly 2years later.Their complaint was the company that renovated the home 1.had the deed notarized fraudently,the notary public didn't witness the daughter signing the deed 2.the work that the company did wasn't worth the price charged....
The lawsuit was filed 5 years ago but never went to court.None of the siblings felt they should spend money to fix something a sister and nephew messed up.
My grandmother passed without being aware of any of this in Aug 1999.
Finally Jan 2001,the finance company decides to clear the title and bring all of this to a close.The amount owed grew from $14,900 in 1994 to $24,600 in 2001.The summons was posted in the local legal section notifying the family that they were being sued to clear the title.
Because my parents lives on this property,I decide to purchase the property with the pending lawsuit and uncleared title for $25,000 (Feb 2001) to save my parents home of 29 years.Since my grandmother's passing the total number of heirs grew to 22 individuals,none of which wants to waive their interest in the property so I can clear the title.
1. It has been 7 yrs. this october since the daughter illegally signed the property over to her son and no one contested that matter. What is the statue of limitations for this?
2. The lawsuit filed by the siblings has been on file for the last 5 yrs last month with no action taken because they couldn't afford to pay attorney fees. What is the statue of limitations for this?
3. What advice can you give to me as far as clearing the title and keeping the property in my name?
4. The potential heirs did not pursue this matter until after I purchased the land so do they have a legal interest in the property since my grandmother was living during the initial forged signing of the deed?
5. Is there any way at all for me to clear the title without involving the potential heirs?
6. Shouldn't the potential heirs' complaint be with the daughter and not me? After all the daughter acted on behalf of these heirs by signing away the deed to her son.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">