• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SBLI USA Delaying a valid death claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jacob2003

NY.

SBLI USA is refusing to pay my claim until all benficiaries file a claim. The policy was left to all three kids. The youngest, a minor child has not filed.

It was purchased in 1995.

What recourse do I have? I would rather that the youngest didn't file. He is about to turn 17 and his mother would likely waste it. Aside from that, I would have a tough time getting her to cooperate. SBLI USA told me to speak to her to get her to file. If I was to approach her , she will insist I give up on my Probate claims. I paid thousands in burial expenses. Was counting on the insurance money to get immediately reimbursed and intend to file a claim to eventually get paid through probate (probate can take months). The child's guardian is upset that the deceased named the kids and not her. She feels I should pay for the funeral expenses (legally funeral expenses has priority in NY).

The expense for the funeral is considerable. I would like to protect the insured interests (a monument in the cemetary for the deceased etc.) and the insurance company is jeaopardizing my interests as well (I just signed a contract for a house).

Do I need to file a bad faith claim against SBLI USA? I've never heard of any other insurance company delaying valid claims. Do the large companies have similiar policies?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">