• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SC law regarding lunches?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scmommy75

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I am being told by my new supervisor that according to SC labor laws that they are required to provide, at the minimum, a 30 minute lunch for any employee working a 7 hour day. One day last week I took a 29 minute lunch, having clocked in 1 minute early on accident. She is telling me they can take disciplinary action against me for this? Is that accurate? I was under the impression that SC Labor Laws do not require an employer to even provide lunches or breaks. Can someone clarify this for me?

eerelations

Actually you're asking two questions here. They are:
  1. Are there any SC laws requiring employers to give employees a minimum 30-minute meal break?
  2. Can my employer discipline me for taking a 29-minute meal break?
And my answers are:
  1. I don't know - one of my esteemed colleagues can answer this one.
  2. Yes, your employer can discipline you for taking a 29-minute meal break, even if there aren't any meal break laws in SC.

mlane58

South Carolina neither requires a 30 minute meal break or rest breaks of any kind. Your employer can still take corrective action against for violating their internal policy on meal or rest breaks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If your employer is telling you that SC requires a 30 minute break, she is either mistaken or lying.

However, if your employer wants you to take a 30 minute break, then you take a 30 minute break. The absence of a law requiring it does not mean the employer cannot require it - they can. And if they want to discipline you for taking 29 minutes instead of 30, there is nothing in the law that is going to stop them.

An employer cannot require an employee to take fewer or shorter breaks than the law requires, but they can require more or longer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">