• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SC Tax Lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swwyld12

South Carolina

Hello Guys,

I lived in SC up until 2006, when I left to work out of the country for several years. As such, I have not checked my credit report or needed any new credit in several years. The other day, I pulled up my credit report and saw a tax lien from SC. So, I called today and they said it is because they do not have a record of my income tax return for 2006. The women on the phone (a little less then helpful) said I need to refile the tax year. But, since this was 9 years ago, I have NONE of the receipts or other required documents, furthermore, I need it removed from my credit report quickly, and it appears to be a VERY LENGTHY process to file the previous return, pay the balance (if there is one), and have it removed from my credit report.

So, since I cannot remember if I had confirmation that the return was filled, I cannot be sure if it was finalized (I was preoccupied with leaving the country), can I simply pay the amount listed on the tax lien, or am I required to follow the whole process, which can take months? The whole liability is about $4,200, which is more then I want to pay, but if not removed quickly, it will cost me much more in the long run.

Thanks!
I have never had a more difficult time getting anyone to take my money!

P.S. I also want this dealt with quickly because of an inherent fear of any federal agency sending me notices... I don't want to stir the sleeping giant!

davew128

Hire a SC tax professional who deals in delinquent returns.

And no, the Feds don't bother with state tax debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">