• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scam Artist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nighthawk75

What is the name of your state? WV

I was recently involved in a very minor car accident, I was backing out of a space (at night in the dark). I looked both ways and began to back out (looking in my rearview window as I did) I never saw head lights but when I was 3/4 of the way out of my spot I heard a crunch. I got out of the car and there was a little dark car behind mine. I had a small scratch on my bumper and she had a dent in the front of her car right above the front tire.

I wasn't sure whose fault it was (I thought that if you were over 1/2 way out and hit the person on the front half of the car it was thier fault) . Anyway, she said I was at fault and tried to convince me to just pay her cash as I wouldn't want to raise my insurance. I being of sound mind, refused and told her to call the police so we could file a report. She said that because we were on 'private' property the police would not come (we were at the Mall).

I wasn't sure if that were true but since there was only a minor scratch on both cars I figured it was her loss if she couldn't file because their was no report. I gave her my insurance information and we parted ways.

I have never seen or heard from this woman again (it has been three weeks) and am now convinced that the reason I didn't see her is because she is a scammer who does this type of thing to make money. Is there anyway to check and see if she has done this type of thing before? Or to see how many suits she has filed due to car accidents?

racer72

You were at fault. It is always the responsibility of someone backing to yield. And yes she was correct, the police would not respond to a minor accident on private property.

Why do you want the information? You have no legal grounds for any litigation.

If this person was looking to scam you, they would have done something by now. In fact, they would have welcomed police intervention at the time of the accident. The most likely scenario is the person was uninsured and/or is having some type of legal problems already. The fewer waves they make, the better. Unless you here from them or your insurance company, there is nothing that you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">