• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scammed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jon1970

I do independent contractor work for DoorDash, a food delivery service that is modeled as a rideshare contractor (like UBER or Lyft only for food delivery). I fell victim to a scam. While I was working, someone called me and claimed to be from DoorDash technical support. They said that they needed to verify the device (smartphone) that Iwas using so they needed my user name and password. I, like an idiot, gave this information to them. Later, the scammer logged into my account and withdrew all my money for the week and deposited the money into their account. They used a feature on the program called FastPay which I never use which allows a driver to have their money deposited daily instead of weekly for a $2 fee. I personally never use this because I do not want to pay the fee. The feature requires the person to enter a debit card # and it deposits the money to that debit card. Obviously, the debit card does not belong to me. The scammer deposited all of my weekly earnings to their account and I am out approximate $350. I contacted DoorDash and they tried to get the money back but they could not as the scammer had already taken the funds. Now, DoorDash refuses to pay me. I by the way have all of the phone calls from the scammer on tape as my smartphone records all conversations. These scammers were good as the phone # they were calling from was even the number to DoorDash headquarters. Since this job is not traditional employment, it is independent contractor work (I do not get paid an hourly wage, I get paid by the job) would it be appropriate to file a complaint against DoorDash for non-payment with the Industrial Commission of Arizona or would it be more appropriate to file for arbitration as my contract has an arbitration clause? DoorDash electronically deposited money into an account that does not belong to me and I think they should have verified that the debit card of the scammer belonged to me. I wish I could sue the scammer but I obviously do not know who it is. What would be the most appropriate action?

quincy

Report the theft of your money to the police. And change your user name and password on your phone, alert your bank and change account information with the bank, and change payment information with your employer.

You were paid by your employer. If discovered early enough your employer might have been able to stop payment. Apparently they were not notified in time to prevent the scammer from getting paid for your work.

Your complaint is with the thief. I am afraid the thief may never be located and you will have to walk away from the incident poorer, but smarter when it comes to disclosing private information.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
DoorDash is not responsible for the fact that you gave the information to someone you shouldn't have. They paid the account number they were given. That they were given the wrong account number is not of their doing, but yours. They don't have to pay twice because you made a, bluntly, stupid mistake.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It doesn't matter how good of a job the thief did in pretending to be someone else. That's on you, not DoorDash.

Think of it this way - if I rip someone off by pretending to be you, would YOU want to be held responsible? I don't think so.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
<snip>. I by the way have all of the phone calls from the scammer on tape as my smartphone records all conversations. These scammers were good as the phone # they were calling from was even the number to DoorDash headquarters. Since this job is not traditional employment, it is independent contractor work (I do not get paid an hourly wage, I get paid by the job) would it be appropriate to file a complaint against DoorDash for non-payment with the Industrial Commission of Arizona or would it be more appropriate to file for arbitration as my contract has an arbitration clause? DoorDash electronically deposited money into an account that does not belong to me and I think they should have verified that the debit card of the scammer belonged to me. I wish I could sue the scammer but I obviously do not know who it is. What would be the most appropriate action?
This is called spoofing. (I am surprised that you are unaware of such a thing.)

DoorDash paid money for your work. Your gripe should be with the party that intercepted and stole your money.

In addition to the previous poster's advice, you may also consider filing a complaint with the FCC. This incident of spoofing is a violation of the Truth in Caller ID act, and should the perpetrator be determined, they could be fined for up to $10,000 for each violation of the act.

That said, it is exceedingly unlikely that they will be identified and charged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">