• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

scholarship application, married or single status?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

argot

I made a mistake. I married into a duplicitous family. I fear financial ruin if I am connected with these people. My husband has agreed to terminate the marriage, given that we stay together (Ha! Sure, honey.) I've told him that I want a divorce so that I will be eligible for the full scholarship that I've been working for. He makes about 24 k per year. I make zilch, so, prior to our marriage, I benefitted from grants and aid. I need to fill out my 2001 student aid form very soon, and I don't want to count myself as married. If I check "single" and terminate the marriage shortly thereafter, am I doing something illegal? We've been married a little over three months. I live in Oregon. I just don't want to hurt my chances. I'm trying to get a full ride to a very expensive school. How long will it take to get an annulment? Divorce? If I check "single" will I get in trouble and hurt myself more than I would have if I checked "married"? Any advice will do! Thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">