• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Board in Maine (secret ballot allowed?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rruhlin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I live in a consolidated school district (5 towns comprising 1 administrative unit), and our school board consists of 3 members from each town. The board is governed by Maine statutes, and uses Roberts Rules of Order as its basis of operation. In short, the board is scheduled to vote on Administrative Contracts (Principals & Ass't. Principals) at it's next meeting on Wed., Feb. 3rd, where the vast majority of the voting public (those who are involved in the schools) want to re-issue contracts to all of the current Administrators, however, the political make-up of the board ("I will vote with you for your pet interest, if you will vote for mine") is such that they are very likely to move to vote on the contracts by secret ballot at their public meeting - as opposed to either a voice or hand vote, where the individual member's vote will be recorded and they can be held specifically accountable to the constituents of their individual town for their vote.

My question(s):

1. Can the board use a secret ballot in this instance?
2. Is there a legal basis for my opposition to the potential secret ballot?
3. What might be an appropriate and legal avenue to block this potential
attempt at secret balloting?

Thank-you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">