• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school bus driver liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kated6

I am a school bus driver in Mendon Massachusetts and am being asked to drive my bus fully loaded to the legal capacity of 71 down a very steep windy road that is neither town accepted nor approved. This means there is no plowing sanding or salting done by the town. Extremely dangerous. In the event of an accident, who is held liable? The bus company? The school Dept? The town or me?

I sure could use some advise. It's an accident waiting to happen and I don't want to risk my family's assets.

Thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kated6:
I am a school bus driver in Mendon Massachusetts and am being asked to drive my bus fully loaded to the legal capacity of 71 down a very steep windy road that is neither town accepted nor approved. This means there is no plowing sanding or salting done by the town. Extremely dangerous. In the event of an accident, who is held liable? The bus company? The school Dept? The town or me?

I sure could use some advise. It's an accident waiting to happen and I don't want to risk my family's assets.

Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I realize you're being placed in a no-win situation - - your job versus doing what is safe. So, to answer your question, all of the entities and you would be liable in the event of an accident. You especially because you are the "front line" person with the responsibility, ultimately, for the safety of those children. In the event of an accident, you could personally lose everything you own - - forget about "their" insurance. You could also lose from an emotional standpoint if one of those kids lost their life.

Remember, like a Captain of a Ship, or the Pilot of an Airliner 767, you are the final say-so in terms of safety. Whatever you say, goes while you're the driver of that bus. So, since you have that duty, authority and responsibility, you have the right to say "no" when it comes to the safety of those kids. If you don't, the end result can be far worse than the loss of a job.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kated6:

Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may add something else. I read recently that there have been brake failures discovered on brakes of some school buses. I do not recall the brand names. Did Firestone sell bus tires? What about airplane tires?

Another angle for our bus driver to consider is; to ask yourself what would the parents of each and every child say in light of the circumstances? Would they want their child sitting in that bus under those conditions? Safety First. Childrens lives depend on bus drivers each and every every school day.

Terrific work IAAL.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited September 10, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">