• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School bus laws in pa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hello. I was wondering If i can make a left turn in Pennsylvania when a school bus is about 200 feet ahead of me but facing in my direction with his red lights on.

PayrollHRGuy

The PA law requires that you stop not less than 10 feet before you reach the bus so, unless the turn will take you to within 10 feet of the bus, you are OK.

Thanks I read that but i thought that just meant that thats how close you could come to the bus before you had to stop. If it helps the bus was not at the intersection I was at he was one up from me.

So What your saying is that I can turn as long as it is more than 10 feet away unless we met at the intersection where i made the turn.

PayrollHRGuy

I'm saying that the PA law requires that you stop not less than 10 feet before you get to the bus.

Would you question turning if there was a stop sign 10 feet away from the bus?

Where i was turning was not really an intersection just a left hand turn and where he was at was another left hand turn. I measured the distance and it was about 200feet.

PayrollHRGuy

I never mentioned an intersection, you did. I'm about as sure as I could be without having a court or a lawyer I really trust tell me I'm wrong.

§ 3345. Meeting or overtaking school bus.

(a) Duty of approaching driver when red signals are flashing.--Except as provided in subsection (g), the driver of a vehicle meeting or overtaking any school bus stopped on a highway or trafficway shall stop at least ten feet before reaching the school bus when the red signal lights on the school bus are flashing and the side stop signal arms are activated under section 4552(b.1) (relating to general requirements for school buses). The driver shall not proceed until the flashing red signal lights are no longer actuated. In no event shall a driver of a vehicle resume motion of the vehicle until the school children who may have alighted from the school bus have reached a place of safety. The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection at which a school bus is stopped shall stop his vehicle at that intersection until the flashing red signal lights are no longer actuated.

I'm not arguing. I just wanted to make sure. I have ptsd and for some stupid reason school buses are a trigger for me. Thanks alot for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">