• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School "Cleaning Detention" without issuing protective gloves

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TracyMazz

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

If a school gives "Cleaning Duty" for a detention, shouldn't they be responsible for giving the students protective gloves and supervision?

Just Blue

If a school gives "Cleaning Duty" for a detention, shouldn't they be responsible for giving the students protective gloves and supervision?
Soap and water requires protective gloves? What exactly are they cleaning and what products are being used?

LdiJ

If the children are cleaning things that could have harmful bacteria or are using potentially harmful cleaning products then yes, the school should be providing protective gloves and supervision if the children are young enough to require supervision.

If they are just wiping dry erase boards or pushing a broom then no, I wouldn't think that either one of those things would be needed.

TracyMazz

Soap and water requires protective gloves? What exactly are they cleaning and what products are being used?
I have no idea what products were being used. They were NOT given anything to wear on their hands. I find it hard to believe that any teacher, admin or sensible adult would not supply protective gloves. Detention was give because child left her cell phone in her laptop bag for the 2nd time in 4 months. I can understand a cleaning detention if the student littered the stairwell or wrote on a locker. Oddly I do not object to the cleaning duty, I raise serious concern for the safety and wellness of my granddaughter. She has chores at home which include cleaning bathrooms - I have a cleaning kit that ALWAYS has gloves in there for her protection.

Just Blue

I have no idea what products were being used. They were NOT given anything to wear on their hands. I find it hard to believe that any teacher, admin or sensible adult would not supply protective gloves. Detention was give because child left her cell phone in her laptop bag for the 2nd time in 4 months. I can understand a cleaning detention if the student littered the stairwell or wrote on a locker. Oddly I do not object to the cleaning duty, I raise serious concern for the wellness of my granddaughter.
What is your GD cleaning?

PayrollHRGuy

I have no idea what products were being used. They were NOT given anything to wear on their hands. I find it hard to believe that any teacher, admin or sensible adult would not supply protective gloves. Detention was give because child left her cell phone in her laptop bag for the 2nd time in 4 months. I can understand a cleaning detention if the student littered the stairwell or wrote on a locker. Oddly I do not object to the cleaning duty, I raise serious concern for the wellness of my granddaughter.

There is no reason to provide protective gloves if there is nothing to be protected from.

TracyMazz

If the children are cleaning things that could have harmful bacteria or are using potentially harmful cleaning products then yes, the school should be providing protective gloves and supervision if the children are young enough to require supervision.

If they are just wiping dry erase boards or pushing a broom then no, I wouldn't think that either one of those things would be needed.
Thank you. I couldn't agree more.

quincy

I have no idea what products were being used. They were NOT given anything to wear on their hands. I find it hard to believe that any teacher, admin or sensible adult would not supply protective gloves. Detention was give because child left her cell phone in her laptop bag for the 2nd time in 4 months. I can understand a cleaning detention if the student littered the stairwell or wrote on a locker. Oddly I do not object to the cleaning duty, I raise serious concern for the safety and wellness of my granddaughter. She has chores at home which include cleaning bathrooms - I have a cleaning kit that ALWAYS has gloves in there for her protection.
You might want to ask your granddaughter what cleaning task was assigned and, depending on the task, if your granddaughter asked for protective gear. I suspect the cleaning tasks assigned in the schools are more along the lines of sweeping the floors in classrooms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">