• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tcs0102

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Are Illinois Public elementary schools allowed to require registration fees? If so, is it mandatory for them to have a fee waiver program in place? I was told a day before school started that I was required to pay the registration fee or my son could not attend. I currently receive SNAP benefits through the state.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Are Illinois Public elementary schools allowed to require registration fees? If so, is it mandatory for them to have a fee waiver program in place? I was told a day before school started that I was required to pay the registration fee or my son could not attend. I currently receive SNAP benefits through the state.
Yes, they do have a waiver program in place. You need to ask for an application. Since you receive SNAP benefits you have a good chance of getting the waiver.

Tcs0102

Yes, they do have a waiver program in place. You need to ask for an application. Since you receive SNAP benefits you have a good chance of getting the waiver.
The district said everyone must pay. They have a free lunch program, but there is no waiver for registration fees

Just Blue

The district said everyone must pay. They have a free lunch program, but there is no waiver for registration fees
Who exactly (title not name) told you this? Have you tried talking to the superintendent of schools about this matter?

LdiJ

The website that was linked by PayrollHRGuy clearly states in plain language that Illinois law requires them to have fee waivers for families that cannot afford the fees. Click on the link. Clink on the drop down box for "resources". Click on the first resource available, and then scroll down to page 7 of the PDF file. Its clear. If your district is not abiding by the law then you need to complain to the state school board.

Tcs0102

Thank you everyone. I spoke to the illinois school board and obtained the number to lodge a complaint. Our district claims that their policies supersede the state's policies per the assistant superintendent

Just Blue

Thank you everyone. I spoke to the illinois school board and obtained the number to lodge a complaint. Our district claims that their policies supersede the state's policies per the assistant superintendent
Read the thread I posted a link to...do what the poster "I'm concerned" did. Also call the Board of Education in your state and explain the situation. A call to the local, well watched, news station(s) to tell of your dilemma might also be effective. Nothing makes a Superintendent look worse then denying low income children their RIGHT to an education. Let the Super 'splain her/hisself to the mic shoved in his/her face.

LdiJ

I understand but per that link its not even a policy, its the law.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The Assistant Superintendent of schools thinks district policies take precedent over state law?!

That's like, not true and kinda beggin' for a lawsuit.

Try next:
1) Superintendent - not the assistant.
2) President of the Board of Education.
Casually mention that the district is in violation of state LAW.

If that doesn't get them to budge, contact the Illinois State Board of Education directly, and ask about filing a complaint.

Tcs0102

I understand but per that link its not even a policy, its the law.
I did call the illinois board of ed. They gave me the number to the regional office of education and told me to speak to the executive director. I left a message and am waiting for a call back.

Just Blue

I did call the illinois board of ed. They gave me the number to the regional office of education and told me to speak to the executive director. I left a message and am waiting for a call back.
Remember...If the person that you end up speaking to brushes you off with a "file a complaint" type response...go further up the food chain. If need be call the Governors office and speak to him/her. Once you get your child(ren) in school...then file complaints. Make sure something is done to correct the "policies" that are discriminatory to the poor. Don't for get that your child is legally entitled to a FREE public school education.

Please update your thread and let us know hw this turns out for you. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">