• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School info and Medical info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe the OP forgot that what he is asking the mother to do might cause her to violate the restraining order...

HRZ

I seem to recall other posts here where a parent took a child to CA and seemed able almost immediately get some sort of protection order against the other far away parent ....one was in HI as I recall.....

As an aside, OP mentions military deployment ...in some states one can be an instant resident if one has active duty station in same ..and I think in CA if the parent is an instant resident then so too is child ...OP did not address his currrent military status

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I seem to recall other posts here where a parent took a child to CA and seemed able almost immediately get some sort of protection order against the other far away parent ....one was in HI as I recall.....

As an aside, OP mentions military deployment ...in some states one can be an instant resident if one has active duty station in same ..and I think in CA if the parent is an instant resident then so too is child ...OP did not address his currrent military status
That's why I corrected myself. It's not the the child isn't a resident, rather, it's that the mother isn't, so the state doesn't have personal jurisdiction.

Sure111

True. She is not a resident and nothing can happen to her in OR, but it's still enforceable if she comes to CA. Whether you're a citizen of that state or not, still accountable to it's laws if violated. It's why some states call them protection orders. Not hard to find a process server in whatever state and they even had the forms required by CA to prove she was served. They filled it out and mailed it back to me. $65 for same day service.

Also, you don't have to be a resident to file for a R/O against another person. At lease not in CA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">