• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

school questioning 5 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hpatt

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I want to know if it is illigal for school staff memebers to question my minor kindergartner about past situations with her unfit mother. This is my stepdaughter. My husband has custody. I just find it crazy to ask my daughter questions about living arrangements, where she ate, or any questions with the presents of her parents or an attorney. She is a minor. 5years old:eek:

JETX

If this was done with the intention of determining residency requirements (as I assume), then there is nothing wrong with it at all.

See. sometimes parents lie.... 5 year olds seldom do about things like where they ate or who's house they sleep at.

JETX

Kat:
And how does the Hatch Amendment letter that you have referred to have ANYTHING to do with the issue raised in this post?? Simple answer: None.

stephenk

Remember, this is your husband's problem not yours. The school does not have to respect your opinion since you are not the child's parent.

did the child say why she was questioned? Was it in class with all the children being asked the same questions or was questioned separately on her own?

JETX

Stephen, from the first post, I would assume that there is some question as to the residency requirements for the child in that school. And if correct, it would very probably have been done in the school office. [This was presumed in my first post, which has not been rebutted.]
\

H

hpatt

School questioning 5 year old

These questions took place off campus, while visiting her eye doctor.

As well it was not about where she lives now. It was where she was living over the summer. These children have been through the ringer with thier mother. Living on the street , in a van for months, in abandoned homes. I think if she does not remember, why question her and make her remember?

There has also been incidents where the school would take up donations to buy my 5 year old shoes, and glasses. without knowing that she did not need these things donated. why would they do this? I'm quessing that they think she is in lack of those items. She has about 4 new pair of shoes, not counting play shoes that she only uses at home. I would not mind if it was a gift, and my child was not the only one getting stuff. but I think it to be a little embaracing for her to get shoes (marked for P.E.) in the presence of other classmateswhen she has tennis shoes that I provided for her.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well....... has the father talked to the school to let them know that these donations for his daughter aren't necessary?

H

hpatt

School questioning 5 year old daughter

Yes, he has asked them to notify us if she needs anything for school.
They fail to do this, before they send the donation. We always return the donated things and thank them, we also ask them to please make the donation to a child in urgent need.

The thing about the glasses is: One of the councelors asked my permission to take my daughter to her eye appointment being that I had another appointment elsewhere on the same date and time. she took her, on the way home she called me and told me the doctor gave my daughter another prescription Lenses for her glasses. she asked me when I would be able to get them. this was on a wednesday. I told her that I get paid friday. She asked if it was okay to pay for the lenses, and I could just reimburse her so that my daughter would not have to wait those 2 days. I said sure just let me know how much they are and I will write you a check. She never called me that week. My daughter did not get her glasses until 2 weeks later. the Councelor called and stated that they took up a donation for the glasses. I asked her why? she stated that I never gave her the money. I told her then, that I would get anything that my daughter needs, and for her not to get her anything else ,and If I was unable to take her to any appointment, that I would just reschedule. The next week the school sent home a pair of shoes marked for her to wear to p.e. I sent these back as well for my daughter already has tennis shoes.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Okay - I am really confused. Is this your daughter, or your stepdaughter? I've been operating on the assumption that it was your stepdaughter. And while I'm obviously not privy to all the circumstances in your situation, I cannot imagine *ever* allowing someone other than a member of my kids' immediate family to take either of them to any sort of doctor's appt.

JETX

I just KNEW that there was far more to this story than just "I want to know if it is illigal for school staff memebers to question my minor kindergartner about past situations with her unfit mother."

And as StephenK pointed out... as your stepdaughter and without any legal standing, the school has no obligation to do anything that you ask... they only have to comply with the wishes of the childs parents.

H

hpatt

See the thing is any time there is a problem the shcool contacts me at my job or where ever I may be. they never contact him. If I tell them to contact him, he does not hear from them. They do what they want to do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
hpatt said:
See the thing is any time there is a problem the shcool contacts me at my job or where ever I may be. they never contact him. If I tell them to contact him, he does not hear from them. They do what they want to do.
Maybe because HE should be the one telling them who to contact?

H

hpatt

that may be so, but the school knows us very well, it is a small town school with about 10 children per class. It seems to me they do not care what the parent or legal quardian has to say, they do what they want when they want. I also have my children there and they seem to what they want with them too. (we have 6 kids)

Example: We paid for Pryme Tyme (an after school program for working parents). After work one day we went to pick our children up from school and they were not there. they were sent home with one of the bus drivers. We did not get our children until 8:00PM. They stated they did not know what to do with them so they sent them with the last bus driver at the school. This person had no written consent to pick up my children or to go to her home. They stated Oh! well, I thought you knew her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">