• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School violation of housing policies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnsonk515

Hello,

I go to school in New Jersey and the University I attend has it listed in their housing policies that if an inspection of a student's room is to be conducted for Health and Safety purposes, they must first notify this student in advance. My school has violated this policy with several students. I'm just wondering what consequences, if any, a school can face for violating their own housing policies? Thanks!

xylene

We haven't read your school's policy. Define 'notice'?

Did this happen to you? What were the circumstances?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect you are misinterpreting your university's policies. From Rutger's University (as an example):

We respect your right to privacy and will not interrupt it unless an emergency warrants. Designated university
officials have the right to enter any university or university-related premises. This right includes, but is not
limited to, providing custodial, maintenance, and repair services; and inspecting for fire and safety violations,
damages, and cleanliness. Reasonable effort will be made to notify you at least 24 hours before inspections for
damage and cleanliness. Inspections for fire and safety violations are made without notice.

[SUB]http://housing.rutgers.edu/ie/files/undergradguide.pdf[/SUB]

ETA: From Caldwell University (another example):

Inspection of University Owned/Sponsored Property
Can my room be inspected when I am present?
Yes. RAs are responsible for conducting Health and Safety inspections at least
once every month to ensure the safety and well being of residents. A minimum of two
Residential Life Staff Members will be present during these inspections.
Can my room be inspected when I am not present?
Yes. A minimum of two RAs can conduct Health and Safety inspections in your
room when you are not present. This includes Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring Breaks.

[sub]https://www.monmouth.edu/uploadedFiles/Content/University/student-life/residential-life/resident-information/guidebook.pdf[/sub]

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">