• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seaching for my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SarasDaddy2k2

kansas. i am searching for my daughter. I am the father of a daughter whose parents never married and never went to court to decide custody. now my daughter's mother has parentally abducted her. they were living in michigan and now supposedly in indiana. my daughter's mother does not deny my paternity.
how can i find my daughter. will a paternity affidavit work as proof of my paternity. i tried to find a pro bono attorney in my state. the one i found said they could do nothing until i proved my paternity. they said this would require finding my daughter, via hiring a private investigator. then having a dna paternity test performed for a fee of $600.00. if i had the money i would be hiring an attorney, not looking for a pro bono attorney. i have to have an attorney to file an emergency temporary custody order. with the order then i could file a missing child report, then law enforcement would be able to get involved. please tell me if this paternity affidavit is enough proof.

Contact 1 800 THE LOST...The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. They are the premier experts on these matters, and have many resources you may be able to use, including non-profits in all areas of the country that can help you locate your daughter. Whether or not you were married is not the real issue, the real issue may be as simple as whether or not your name is on the birth certificate. If not, there still may be other avenues, and they are the people to talk to.

If nothing else, you may be able to get referrals and ideas on how to locate them and maybe even do some of the preliminary filings yourself once you do locate them. If you have the mother's social security number, for a relatively small price, you can probably find them through one of those 'people finder' internet sites.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

S

SarasDaddy2k2

thank you

kansas.
yes i had contacted the ncmec they are the ones who said that i needed to file an emergency temporary custody order. they said i could do so through my local county courthouse. my local county courthouse said i could not file it myself that i needed a lawyer.
as i stated above i contacted a pro bono attorney firm in my town and they are the ones who said they could not do anything until paternity was proven. the ncmec said they could not get involved until a missing child report was filed. law enforcement said i could not file a missing child report unless i had custody papers or filed for an emergency temporary custody order. my county courthouse said i could not file without an attorney. a pro bono attorney said they could not do it until paternity was proven. i can not prove paternity, unless the paternity affidavit i have is proof enough, otherwise i have to do as stated above. so it is a vicious cycle. any other suggestions would be deeply appreciated. thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation.

CMSC

Re: thank you

SarasDaddy2k2 said:
kansas.
yes i had contacted the ncmec they are the ones who said that i needed to file an emergency temporary custody order. they said i could do so through my local county courthouse. my local county courthouse said i could not file it myself that i needed a lawyer.
as i stated above i contacted a pro bono attorney firm in my town and they are the ones who said they could not do anything until paternity was proven. the ncmec said they could not get involved until a missing child report was filed. law enforcement said i could not file a missing child report unless i had custody papers or filed for an emergency temporary custody order. my county courthouse said i could not file without an attorney. a pro bono attorney said they could not do it until paternity was proven. i can not prove paternity, unless the paternity affidavit i have is proof enough, otherwise i have to do as stated above. so it is a vicious cycle. any other suggestions would be deeply appreciated. thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation.

You need to go back to your courthouse and tell them it is your right as a tax paying citizen to file to be heard in a court! They can't tell you that you can't file...ask to speak to a supervisor if they still refuse.
Your paternity affidavidt is proof enough for now to file for tem. custody, your ex can request a DNA test be done if she wants it done.
Good luck. I would suggest going to gradfinder.com or any other high school alumni sites and search for your ex by her maiden name and school on there, she may be telling in her profile where she is at!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">