• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Searching car of driver with a suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LTorres

I was stopped today for speeding 40 on a 30. I thought to myself no biggie just get the ticket and I’ll be on my way. Well the officer came back and come to find out I had a suspended license I didn’t know about. Long story short the officer called for my vehicle to be towed told me I was going to be arrested didn’t end up arresting me instead searched my car without my consent. Now here’s my question is having a suspended license enough reason to search my car without a warrant?

FlyingRon

If the car was going to be towed, an inventory search can be conducted. If something was found (drugs, illegal weapons), you need to be talking to an attorney NOW.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
An inventory search is one of the exceptions to the requirement for having a search warrant. Sounds like the search was perfectly legal.

Of course, knowing what state this is always helps. That's why you were asked that question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">