• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sears online credit card usage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jesdreamer

in Gulliford County North Carolina --
Tenant talked Landlord into applying online for a Sears credit card. Transactions to show online but without any monthly balance statement by mail. Landlord bought a couple things, but tenant bought many personal items and basically used the account for her personal benefit -- managing to run up over $1500. Sometime later, Landlord got notice of payment(s) due, called sears to report unauthorized use. Sears wrote off the balance showing at that time. Landlord neglected to cancel the account and tenant continued to buy & charge. Landlord got another notice, this time at more than $3000. Sears refused to write off the balance since they already had done so earlier on the same account. Turned over to collection agency who is willing to settle for $1800 or so in installments. Problem is that Landlord has been unable to get detail list of charges from Sears (repeated phone calls to Sears Fraud control and repeated promises to mail out list) for details with which to confront Tenant to pay for what she had purchased (since Landlord may have purchased via the account also during this 2nd cycle) --

LdiJ

in Gulliford County North Carolina --
Tenant talked Landlord into applying online for a Sears credit card. Transactions to show online but without any monthly balance statement by mail. Landlord bought a couple things, but tenant bought many personal items and basically used the account for her personal benefit -- managing to run up over $1500. Sometime later, Landlord got notice of payment(s) due, called sears to report unauthorized use. Sears wrote off the balance showing at that time. Landlord neglected to cancel the account and tenant continued to buy & charge. Landlord got another notice, this time at more than $3000. Sears refused to write off the balance since they already had done so earlier on the same account. Turned over to collection agency who is willing to settle for $1800 or so in installments. Problem is that Landlord has been unable to get detail list of charges from Sears (repeated phone calls to Sears Fraud control and repeated promises to mail out list) for details with which to confront Tenant to pay for what she had purchased (since Landlord may have purchased via the account also during this 2nd cycle) --
This is two different threads regarding a landlord cosigning for a tenant. I suspect that this is not a traditional landlord/tenant situation and the answers to your questions might be different if you revealed the true relationship.

tranquility

This is two different threads regarding a landlord cosigning for a tenant. I suspect that this is not a traditional landlord/tenant situation and the answers to your questions might be different if you revealed the true relationship.
This rather rings true to me as well.

jesdreamer

This rather rings true to me as well.
Landlord and tenant at least started out as friends but relationship went sour after several years. Property rented is a single family dwelling of which Landlord is owner. Renter came in to the picture to occupy a bedroom and share balance of the dwelling, paying agreed-on rent usually on time. Problem is that Landlord has been unable in repeated attempts to get details of outstanding balance from Sears Fraud office so that she can have evidence of actual items purchased. She has gotten promises of "details to be mailed" in several telephone attempts but nothing ever shows up in the mail -- how best to get these details of the unpaid balance?? (this has been happening after Tenant vacated so little if any chance Tenant is stealing from the mailbox).

I agree that strategy to negotiate balance after receiving the details on items purchased (for evidence of which user made each purchase) might be treated as a separate thread --

Silverplum

Landlord and tenant at least started out as friends but relationship went sour after several years. Property rented is a single family dwelling of which Landlord is owner. Renter came in to the picture to occupy a bedroom and share balance of the dwelling, paying agreed-on rent usually on time. Problem is that Landlord has been unable in repeated attempts to get details of outstanding balance from Sears Fraud office so that she can have evidence of actual items purchased. She has gotten promises of "details to be mailed" in several telephone attempts but nothing ever shows up in the mail -- how best to get these details of the unpaid balance?? (this has been happening after Tenant vacated so little if any chance Tenant is stealing from the mailbox).

I agree that strategy to negotiate balance after receiving the details on items purchased (for evidence of which user made each purchase) might be treated as a separate thread --
My answer to your other thread stands.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect you don't have the full story about the relationship between "landlord" and "tenant"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
All this social commentary is interesting but not very helpful as to dealing with the problem stated --
Ok, then here's the REAL problem. There is nothing that YOU can do about this. I believe that the other party is going to argue that these were gifts given by a (now) jilted lover who simply regrets having given said gifts. In any case, there really is nothing you can do, legally speaking. Furthermore, your geographic distance and familial relationship is preventing you from having all of the information, so any information you get from this forum probably won't matter.

Please have your daughter log on and I'm sure she'll get valid information.

LdiJ

All this social commentary is interesting but not very helpful as to dealing with the problem stated --
It actually DOES matter. Its not helpful to getting correct answers to define them as simply landlord and tenant. As someone else already said, your daughter should be posting here herself.

aristocatkitty

IMHO never, ever trust financial institutions. Don't sign away your financial favors, either. I am so sorry for your loss.

I've had the unfortunate experience of being cut off (verbally) while administrating my account. Subsequently my bank account was DRAINED of funds, initiated by this Ah Em We Ex account... (won't accept my calls???)

So sorry... Cash only plus signatures. I know, I know it's probably family or "friend of" but the sting of asking them to grab your pen for your awkward, homemade document, stings as much as ripping on a band-aid.
Good luck to you!

single317dad

IMHO never, ever trust financial institutions. Don't sign away your financial favors, either. I am so sorry for your loss.

I've had the unfortunate experience of being cut off (verbally) while administrating my account. Subsequently my bank account was DRAINED of funds, initiated by this Ah Em We Ex account... (won't accept my calls???)

So sorry... Cash only plus signatures. I know, I know it's probably family or "friend of" but the sting of asking them to grab your pen for your awkward, homemade document, stings as much as ripping on a band-aid.
Good luck to you!
Are you high?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">