• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seat belt ticket in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JeanieS

Recently I was issued a ticket for not wearing my seat belt but I don't think it was a fair ticket under the circumstances. I was being picked up by a friend. When I got in the car I went ahead and began putting on my seat belt but my friend in the meantime had already begun to drive the car again. The police officer pulled us over and issued me a ticket after I had my seat belt on but said that he saw me putting it on while the car was already in motion which is illegal....but how am I suppose to control when the car moves or not since I'm a passenger? In my opinion I did the right thing by putting my seat belt on as soon as I got in the car. Is this a fair ticket? Is there anywhere that I can go and actually find the written law regarding this? I plan to go to court and argue this ticket...any advice?
Thanks,
Jeanie

CdwJava

CVC 27316(e) A person 16 years of age or over may not be a passenger in a motor vehicle on a highway unless that person is properly restrained by a safety belt. ...

The section does not grant an exemption for a driver taking off without waiting. It's a legal citation even if it might be a little cheesy.

Additionally, the driver could have been cited for not having you belted before he took off. All things being "fair", you could have BOTH gotten the ticket. You might consider asking your friend to pay the ticket.

- Carl

JeanieS said:
Recently I was issued a ticket for not wearing my seat belt but I don't think it was a fair ticket under the circumstances. I was being picked up by a friend. When I got in the car I went ahead and began putting on my seat belt but my friend in the meantime had already begun to drive the car again. The police officer pulled us over and issued me a ticket after I had my seat belt on but said that he saw me putting it on while the car was already in motion which is illegal....but how am I suppose to control when the car moves or not since I'm a passenger? In my opinion I did the right thing by putting my seat belt on as soon as I got in the car. Is this a fair ticket? Is there anywhere that I can go and actually find the written law regarding this? I plan to go to court and argue this ticket...any advice?
Thanks,
Jeanie
Jeanie,
Presumably the legislators, writers of traffic laws and such, have public safety in mind, but the laws they write can't seem to eliminate the element of judgement on the part of the officers who are supposed to enforce them. Whenever there is a judgement to be made, some officers do OK, others create more problems, trouble, expense and endangerment to public safety than they are supposedly charged with preventing. If your story is not fudging on the truth, the cop's fudging on judgement may be noted by the judge. It is always a good plan to argue against what is unfair, at least so's a judge can indicate to the enforcement officers what "fair judgement" means.

JeanieS

not fudging on the truth

I suppose I can see why some might think I'm not 100% truthful in my story but the fact is that my friend picked me in a pick up/drop off zone on a main road so there was no driveway, etc... I agree that it only takes two seconds to put on a seatbelt. I probably did put my purse down on the floorboard before buckling up but it was pretty much immediate. It sounds as though I have a 50/50 chance if I go to court??

Pugilist

You should definitely go to trial. Why?

1. Mickey Mouse ticket - maybe the officer will be too embarrassed, or busy, to show up. If he doesn't show up, the case will be dismissed.

2. If the officer does show up, maybe the judge will toss the ticket because it is so MM.

3. Many defedants decide not to go to trial because they might lose traffic school - after trial, it is at the judge's discretion. But seat belt tickets are not eligible for traffic school, so you have nothing to lose.

Good luck.

Pub

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">