• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Second Amendment Ruling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lot249

new jersey
I've asked my question to a few state government agencies and have not been given a clear and definitive answer.
I have had two registered handguns for over 25 years. All new jersey requirements for both purchases were followed and met with no exception.
Now that the supreme court has affirmed the right to carry a concealed gun for self-protection, and can not be infringed. Can I now carry a gun on my person for self-protection?

doucar

The Supreme court did not reject the requirement for a permit, but threw out New York's very restrictive requirements to get one.

adjusterjack

The Supreme court did not reject the requirement for a permit, but threw out New York's very restrictive requirements to get one.
Requirement - singular. The requirement for showing good cause for needing the permit.

All the other requirements are still in effect.

You can bet NY will still make it difficult to get a carry permit.

bcr229

You can bet NY will still make it difficult to get a carry permit.
New York also expanded the list of places where one may not carry.

New York has apparently forgotten the lessons that Little Rock, Arkansas learned about thumbing one's nose at Supreme court decisions.

adjusterjack

New York also expanded the list of places where one may not carry.
The typical knee jerk reaction that penalizes law abiding citizens with something unenforceable against criminals and crazies.

Gov. Hochul signs law banning guns in many public places in New York - CBS New York (cbsnews.com)

Though I do agree that guns should be prohibited in places serving liquor. Even law abiding citizens get stupid from booze.

New York has apparently forgotten the lessons that Little Rock, Arkansas learned about thumbing one's nose at Supreme court decisions.
Not exactly a valid comparison. :unsure:

adjusterjack

My point is - is the President going to send the US Army into New York State to make sure everyone who qualifies for a carry permit gets one?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My point is - is the President going to send the US Army into New York State to make sure everyone who qualifies for a carry permit gets one?
In our highly divided country, that act may well be the spark of the next civil war. And both sides would lose out in that conflict as the US would end up much diminished and perhaps permanently divided into two or more nations.

bcr229

I doubt the USSC would let things get to that point. Far safer to rule that purchase and carry permits are unconstitutional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">