• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Second Federal Extension After my SDI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babyLittle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was just started my ui 2nd extension before I delivered the baby in Aug/2009. Then I was put on SDI for 6 weeks and PFL for 6 weeks. After my PAID FAMILY LEAVE ended in Nov/2009, I went back to my UI. But EDD just gave me 8 weeks of 2nd extension instead of 22 weeks. I stopped ui before went to SDI, how come during my SDI and PFL period EDD was still rolling over my 2nd extension as if EDD was still paying me? I'm wondering if I should get 22 weeks of federal 2nd extsn after my SDI and PFL?

Last edited:

commentator

You will certainly need to call the unemployment system in CA and ask them to explain this to you, as no one else will have access to your individual records and can answer this highly technical, highly personalized question concerning your benefits. All states have slightly different "tiers" of extension benefits, ways of paying them out. Someone in your state's system can explain it to you easily, no one outside will be able to.

babyLittle

Help! My UI 2ND EXTENSION

You will certainly need to call the unemployment system in CA and ask them to explain this to you, as no one else will have access to your individual records and can answer this highly technical, highly personalized question concerning your benefits. All states have slightly different "tiers" of extension benefits, ways of paying them out. Someone in your state's system can explain it to you easily, no one outside will be able to.
I called them, they said when I come back from SDI I will come back when it is. That means if I came back in Nov/2009 then they would pay me from NOV/2009. But my 2nd UI extension from Aug/2009 to NOV/2009 will be lost. I'm thinking if they required me to stop my UI from Aug/2009, how can they still eat my UI weeks away from Aug/2009 to Nov/2009? It was stopped DURING this period.

commentator

Unlike a regular unemployment claim, unemployment extensions are based on the time frame. They are given in weekly increments, not "you have x # of weeks to draw, or a total balance of $$$$$." It is "you have this many weeks left on this tier of unemployment to be drawn out before such and such date." Okay, this means that if you are not filing to draw the extension, it's not there for you later. Right now, all extensions are ending as of Feb. 28, 2010. Still, keep asking them to explain, cause it's going to be hard to grasp. They will have a much better picture of how your individual claim is working. You will get all you legally are entitled to get, especially if you keep asking about it. There's no way they're going to fail to see you had eligibility, if you had, if they keep looking at it because you keep calling about it.

But because you didn't file for it, you were not able and available for it, you have no right to any extension money from August to November. This is not based on total amount of money in an extension claim, but weeks filed for, and you were not able to file for those weeks, because you were not eligible. So you have not drawn those weeks of extension, had no eligibility for them. The money did not set up for you individually and did not sit in there waiting for you to draw it like a regular claim would.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">