• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Second hand car due bill not fulfilled *- safety issue -*

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gianzy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

I bought in mid November a second hand porsche boxster S, in agreement with the dealership, there was few jobs to complete and regularly registered in the due bill.
One of the repairs is related to the fuse box cover which is located just next the foot rest.
This item as stated from the dealer is a safety issue because electrical parts are exposed and when is raining and my foot is wet I might easily hit the fuses with my leg and is really not safe.
The dealer, very unprofessional, stated that ordered the appropriate cover and send it to my address ( instead of having it installed himself ), now is the 22nd December and he didn't provided a tracking number nor proof that he really order it back in November.
I wrote a mail to him stating that I don't feel safe driving the car in rainy days especially and that I will rent another porsche every time it rains and send the bill to him.

He replied that is in holidays until January and won't do anything till then, plus told me to don't threaten him.

Meanwhile, the due deal has an expiration date, 24th November, but is not my fault he didn't completed the job in my car, what are my options to ask a reimbursement?
As well, I'm paying a loan on the car, can I claim back the period that the car is not safe to drive?

Thank you in advance for your reply!

FlyingRon

You won't get anywhere with that. First off, your complaint is a gross exaggeration. The missing fuse box cover doesn't make the car unsafe to drive, be it in the rain or at any other time.
Even if the car were completely undrivable, you'd not get compensation of being able to rent another Porsche.

What on earth is a "due deal"?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"due deal" = "due bill" which is a listing of items the dealer has agreed to repair.

The OP would be best served by buying the part himself and asking for reimbursement from the dealer.

Gianzy

You won't get anywhere with that. First off, your complaint is a gross exaggeration. The missing fuse box cover doesn't make the car unsafe to drive, be it in the rain or at any other time.
Even if the car were completely undrivable, you'd not get compensation of being able to rent another Porsche.

What on earth is a "due deal"?
I believe that if accidentally whit my foot I damage the fuse of a vital car equipment and have a accident, is not exaggeration, and the missing cover is just next to the foot rest ( you can find images on internet ), so I disagree with you but I appreciate your opinion.

You are then telling me that, first I need to wait to have an accident and then I could have a claim? The dealer stated it was a safety issue, so he must be responsible for something?

I already brought the car to him to fix a broken windshield, it should have been a day job, but he ordered a non OEM one and I ended up waiting 4 days for my car back. They gave me a mini in the meantime, but I bought a porsche and want to drive a porsche, so if because of him I can't, I should be adequately compensated in my opinion, that's why I want to get a rental porsche, because I pay monthly for one and I can't use it because of him.
He does not want to give me tracking number of the box cover, but he is bounded by a contract to provide the part to me, why should I buy it and wait for him to reimburse me? and if he refuses to reimburse me then I have to sue him?

Gianzy

Since the cover costs <$20, then I'd say you just eat the $20 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I thought so, but since in the USA the dealerships are basically pirates and as of today I don't understand why or how they even exist ( I'm from Italy and a dealer on any second hand car MUST by law give a 1 year warranty no exceptions and is illegal home to hand over the car to the client before all the issues are rectified ) I wanted to teach him a lesson for violation of a written contract.

At the end of the day, if they are not responsible and give no warranty, my next car I will just buy from a private without wasting money and time on a dealer.
I can't still believe the lack of responsibility allowed by law :-(

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I thought so, but since in the USA the dealerships are basically pirates and as of today I don't understand why or how they even exist ( I'm from Italy and a dealer on any second hand car MUST by law give a 1 year warranty no exceptions and is illegal home to hand over the car to the client before all the issues are rectified ) I wanted to teach him a lesson for violation of a written contract.

At the end of the day, if they are not responsible and give no warranty, my next car I will just buy from a private without wasting money and time on a dealer.
I can't still believe the lack of responsibility allowed by law :-(
Buying from a private seller will leave you with even less legal protection.

You're also not in Italy, and lawsuits here are about money - not teaching someone a lesson.

Gianzy

Buying from a private seller will leave you with even less legal protection.

You're also not in Italy, and lawsuits here are about money - not teaching someone a lesson.
Considering he is violating a contract anyway, I see no difference from buying from a private.

Is not about Italy or America, is about the fact that I'm right and he is wrong, I would love to sue him and get reimbursed for the stress and the risk of driving the car, and that would surely teach him a lesson, but my understanding is that I would get nothing really apparently and he can happily continue his business even if he does not fulfills the contracted items.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Considering he is violating a contract anyway, I see no difference from buying from a private.

Is not about Italy or America, is about the fact that I'm right and he is wrong, I would love to sue him and get reimbursed for the stress and the risk of driving the car, and that would surely teach him a lesson, but my understanding is that I would get nothing really apparently and he can happily continue his business even if he does not fulfills the contracted items.
Sigh.

Buying from a dealer does give you at least some protection in most circumstances. Buying from a private seller gives you very, very little protection against anything.

Zigner

If you were REALLY concerned about the missing cover, then you wouldn't drive the car. If you HAD to drive the car and you were REALLY concerned about the missing cover, then you'd create a temporary fix, such as taping a piece of cardboard over the opening while you wait for the piece to arrive. You aren't REALLY concerned about the missing cover, you just want to huff and puff. :rolleyes:

Gianzy

If you were REALLY concerned about the missing cover, then you wouldn't drive the car. If you HAD to drive the car and you were REALLY concerned about the missing cover, then you'd create a temporary fix, such as taping a piece of cardboard over the opening while you wait for the piece to arrive. You aren't REALLY concerned about the missing cover, you just want to huff and puff. :rolleyes:
......I am concerned, but as most of the people I have to feed my family, so I must drive to work and groceries shops even if I'm not happy about it.
And I am even more concerned about a suggestion that tells me to put tape or cardboard to cover exposed electrical equipment.
I said that my concern is when is raining ( not every day, so I don't want to huff and puff ), and I enter with wet feet, the water might cause a short-break that causes sparks or little flames, if I put tape or cardboard and it happens, it would catch fire :confused:

Anyway, my original question was if I could argue the point he was in breach of a contract, and considering there is possible safety issues I would like to be reimbursed for the risks I have to take, but I can see that in the opinion of most people, I have no case really.
Now I do understand how comes that the situation here is so bad with car dealers and most of the people wastes money in leasing cars******************************************.

Zigner

......I am concerned, but as most of the people I have to feed my family, so I must drive to work and groceries shops even if I'm not happy about it.
And I am even more concerned about a suggestion that tells me to put tape or cardboard to cover exposed electrical equipment.
I said that my concern is when is raining ( not every day, so I don't want to huff and puff ), and I enter with wet feet, the water might cause a short-break that causes sparks or little flames, if I put tape or cardboard and it happens, it would catch fire :confused:

Anyway, my original question was if I could argue the point he was in breach of a contract, and considering there is possible safety issues I would like to be reimbursed for the risks I have to take, but I can see that in the opinion of most people, I have no case really.
Now I do understand how comes that the situation here is so bad with car dealers and most of the people wastes money in leasing cars******************************************.
Oh, you've GOT a case...for about $20. The problem is that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. (In other words, this really isn't a big deal and you sound silly trying to make it out to be a big deal.)

Gianzy

Oh, you've GOT a case...for about $20. The problem is that you're making a mountain out of a molehill. (In other words, this really isn't a big deal and you sound silly trying to make it out to be a big deal.)
I understand, but this is as well the mentality that led you in the first place to have the dealers be so powerful and the clients unprotected. If you tell me that if a put a lawyer, I lose no money in the process, I will sue him, because somewhere things must start to change.

Even if I get just 1 dollar reimbursement, is more for the lesson thought to him than the reimbursement. Dealers must change mentality, I was shocked when looking for the car, I found one dealer that the first picture for any car is a disclaimer that says to the client that they give no warranty, that perfect used cars does not exist and that the client should get his responsibilities!!! The fact that I look for a dealer is because I want some assistance in the after-sale, is the dealer that should became responsible and stop selling lemons to people!!!

Zigner

I understand, but this is as well the mentality that led you in the first place to have the dealers be so powerful and the clients unprotected. If you tell me that if a put a lawyer, I lose no money in the process, I will sue him, because somewhere things must start to change.

Even if I get just 1 dollar reimbursement, is more for the lesson thought to him than the reimbursement. Dealers must change mentality, I was shocked when looking for the car, I found one dealer that the first picture for any car is a disclaimer that says to the client that they give no warranty, that perfect used cars does not exist and that the client should get his responsibilities!!! The fact that I look for a dealer is because I want some assistance in the after-sale, is the dealer that should became responsible and stop selling lemons to people!!!
It's a cover for an item under the dash. I drove my '93 Suburban for about 5 years before I decided to plunk down the $35 for my missing cover (yes, my old Chevy's fuse box cover cost me more than your Porsche's fuse box cover will cost you.)

If you are REALLY concerned about your safety, you would have taken steps to protect yourself. At this point you are simply a troll.

Gianzy

It's a cover for an item under the dash. I drove my '93 Suburban for about 5 years before I decided to plunk down the $35 for my missing cover (yes, my old Chevy's fuse box cover cost me more than your Porsche's fuse box cover will cost you.)

If you are REALLY concerned about your safety, you would have taken steps to protect yourself. At this point you are simply a troll.
Whatever, thank you for nothing, great mentality, keep up getting robbed and don't change the system :cool:

How do you cancel your account from this forum? can't find the procedure, please anyone can help?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">