• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Second Lienholder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Michigan.
I run a repair facility where you use your title as collateral for a line of credit. A customer, who's title already had a lienholder, went into default on the loan. I had the vehicle repossessed after being added as a lienholder.
Can the first lienholder take possession of a vehicle that I repossessed as the second lienholder?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can the first lienholder take possession of a vehicle that I repossessed as the second lienholder?
Perhaps.

And that is the best answer you're going to get with the very limited information you've provided.

LdiJ

Well ... what is cut and dried is lien priority, with the first lien having priority over the second lien.
Yep, but since he hasn't shared the whole story we don't know what's going on with the first lien.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It could do that. But the question is why would it want to do that? If you follow the procedures for sale of the car under the applicable state statutes the first lien holder is going to be protected in that process. It would rather you do the work, absent some circumstance that puts its interest at risk.

quincy

The first lien holder is entitled to payment before you (the second lien holder) is paid - so, although you potentially can sell the vehicle to satisfy your lien, the first lien holder must be paid from the sale proceeds before you can be paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">