• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

second mortgage question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kelzz68

What is the name of your state? this took place in Georgia

When I sold my house after my divorce, the second mortgage that my now ex husband and I took out before we were divorced didn’t show up on the title search. In the divorced papers my ex was to be responsible for the payment of the 2nd mortgage, I assumed that he had paid it and that’s why it didn’t show up when the title search we done. Several months later I was served with court papers telling me that the 2nd mortgage was not paid and that I now was being sued for it and I had a judgment filed against me. My ex husband also received court papers to the same effect, he filed chapter 13 bankruptcy and included the 2nd on it, I was told that because he filed bankruptcy that the attorney couldn’t come after me until the bankruptcy was discharged. My ex husband has just told me that after 4 years he is changing his bankruptcy to a chapter 7. My question is can I still be held responsible for the debt now that it has been declared on his bankruptcy? And how and when can I get the judgment off my credit report? Is there a time frame for the bank for collecting the debt? Please email me if you have any questions
Thank you
Kelly

HomeGuru

kelzz68 said:
What is the name of your state? this took place in Georgia

When I sold my house after my divorce, the second mortgage that my now ex husband and I took out before we were divorced didn’t show up on the title search. In the divorced papers my ex was to be responsible for the payment of the 2nd mortgage, I assumed that he had paid it and that’s why it didn’t show up when the title search we done. Several months later I was served with court papers telling me that the 2nd mortgage was not paid and that I now was being sued for it and I had a judgment filed against me. My ex husband also received court papers to the same effect, he filed chapter 13 bankruptcy and included the 2nd on it, I was told that because he filed bankruptcy that the attorney couldn’t come after me until the bankruptcy was discharged. My ex husband has just told me that after 4 years he is changing his bankruptcy to a chapter 7. My question is can I still be held responsible for the debt now that it has been declared on his bankruptcy?

**A: yes, as you signed the 2nd mortgage note.
And how and when can I get the judgment off my credit report? Is there a time frame for the bank for collecting the debt? Please email me if you have any questions
Thank you
Kelly
**A: there is no time frame (statutes of limitations) on collection of the mortgage but the lender can foreclose due to default ie. nonpayment, term expiration etc..

K

kelzz68

HomeGuru,
thank you for your answer,

the bank has nothing to foreclose on...
I sold the house, the lein never showed up on the title seach
my ex filed bankrupcy and the debt was part of his bankrupcy
and if I can be held responsible for the debt, why have they not come after me.

HomeGuru

kelzz68 said:
HomeGuru,
thank you for your answer,

the bank has nothing to foreclose on...
I sold the house, the lein never showed up on the title seach
my ex filed bankrupcy and the debt was part of his bankrupcy

**A: Ok, understood.
and if I can be held responsible for the debt, why have they not come after me.
**A: I have no idea. Ask them.

A

amortgageman

I would have to think that the second lien holder or the title company messed up on this one. Wonder why they never placed a secondary lien on the home.

It still does not relive the debt obligation, which should have been aattached to the home.

HomeGuru

So the 2nd mortgage is not attached since the property was sold and the amount was discharged when ex filed BK. The lender will still go after you as the co-guarantor on the mortgage note.

K

kelzz68

judgement..

the whole thing has me puzzled because I have never heard anything from the mortgage company or lawyers trying to collect this debt the lawyer filed a judgement against me in court in 1997 and they have never attempted to collect on that judgement. I wondered if it had anything to do with my ex filing chapter13, I was told that because he filed that the bank or lawyer couldnt try to collect from me until his banrupcy was discharged.

HomeGuru

kelzz68 said:
the whole thing has me puzzled because I have never heard anything from the mortgage company or lawyers trying to collect this debt the lawyer filed a judgement against me in court in 1997 and they have never attempted to collect on that judgement. I wondered if it had anything to do with my ex filing chapter13, I was told that because he filed that the bank or lawyer couldnt try to collect from me until his banrupcy was discharged.
**A: wrong. The lender could still collect from you even on the day or after your ex filed BK.

K

kelzz68

puzzled

from what I gather from your replies, is that the lawyer/bank can still collect the debt from me till the day I die. there is no SOL. If that is the case then
I guess the lawyer/bank is waiting on me to get sick of this judgement being on my credit report, and figure I will pay up when I want the judgement taken off, because they have made no attempt at all to collect from me at all.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

kelzz68 said:
from what I gather from your replies, is that the lawyer/bank can still collect the debt from me till the day I die. there is no SOL. If that is the case then
I guess the lawyer/bank is waiting on me to get sick of this judgement being on my credit report, and figure I will pay up when I want the judgement taken off, because they have made no attempt at all to collect from me at all.
**A: you have misunderstood. There is no SOL for collection of a mortgage but in your case, there is no longer a mortgage but a judgement. There is a sol for this judgement so you should check on what it is and the renewal criteria.

K

kelzz68

Sol

You wouldnt happen to know the SOL for this type of situation in the state of GA would ya *crossing fingers* LOL
Kelly

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">