• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Secondary Cardholder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

4evryng

What is the name of your state? Ca

i applied for a credit card years ago and requested the issuance of a second card. the purpose for the secondary card ceased to be an issue and the account was closed, by myself, a couple years later. fast forward...

the account was never closed. it turns out that the secondary cardholder changed account information and was using the account. i did not claim fraud as the second cardholder is my sister.

i spoke with a customer service rep at the card company and was informed that i could get account ownership changed. i submitted everything i was informed that i needed to submit and thought nothing of it.

6 months later, the issuing company is calling me informing me that they are now going to take me to court.

several issues are apparent:
1) the issuing bank allowed a non-account owner access and ability to affect change of account information
2) the issuing bank's own representative, at the time, informed me that this would end my obligation

this whole matter has gotten me so stressed out that i have not been sleeping at all. my work has now become affected, although not easy to quantify given the time of year.

if this actually sees a courtroom, do i have basis for a countersuit claiming:
1) intentional infliction of emotional distress
2) violation of privacy
3) breech of contract

and can i attach monetary values to each of these? how much will state credit law affect my ability to countersue?

help!

HomeGuru

4evryng said:
What is the name of your state? Ca

i applied for a credit card years ago and requested the issuance of a second card. the purpose for the secondary card ceased to be an issue and the account was closed, by myself, a couple years later. fast forward...

the account was never closed. it turns out that the secondary cardholder changed account information and was using the account. i did not claim fraud as the second cardholder is my sister.

i spoke with a customer service rep at the card company and was informed that i could get account ownership changed. i submitted everything i was informed that i needed to submit and thought nothing of it.

6 months later, the issuing company is calling me informing me that they are now going to take me to court.

several issues are apparent:
1) the issuing bank allowed a non-account owner access and ability to affect change of account information
2) the issuing bank's own representative, at the time, informed me that this would end my obligation

this whole matter has gotten me so stressed out that i have not been sleeping at all. my work has now become affected, although not easy to quantify given the time of year.

if this actually sees a courtroom, do i have basis for a countersuit claiming:
2) violation of privacy
3) breech of contract

and can i attach monetary values to each of these? how much will state credit law affect my ability to countersue?

help!
**A: are you now claiming fraud because she is your sister?

Last edited:

JETX

"the issuing bank allowed a non-account owner access and ability to affect change of account information"
*** Not per your post. Clearly the account was in your name and you gave the other party (your sister) rights to the account when you placed her name on it.

"the issuing bank's own representative, at the time, informed me that this would end my obligation"
*** Clearly, he was incorrect. Now, how are you going to prove that he said what you claim??

"if this actually sees a courtroom, do i have basis for a countersuit claiming:
2) violation of privacy
3) breech of contract"
*** No, no and no.

"and can i attach monetary values to each of these?"
*** Of course you can. But that doesn't mean that you have a valid claim (you don't).

"how much will state credit law affect my ability to countersue?"
*** If you had a valid countersuit, none at all. However, this is moot.

4evryng

Replies....

The credit card account in question was not a joint account. It was an account I opened and authorized an additional card. Much like a scenario where a parent gives a minor a second card and authorizes charge activities on that account.

I was informed by the credit card company that holders of additional cards do NOT have the authority to change account information. They are only authorized to use the account to charge. Additionally, the rep who initiated the change of ownership process informed me to outline the entire situation and send it to the higher powers. All documents have been retained and I have copies. So, there is a paper trail.

As far as proving what the rep said, I cannot. A couple of my conversations with past reps of the bank were recorded, but I cannot be certain as to the "completeness" of those recordings.

adevine

Why are you being taken to court? Is this what has you upset, or the matter about changing the inormation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">